* Interpretation of Marriage Witnesses etc

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Interpretation of Marriage Witnesses etc

Post by tatewise »

The difficulty I have with the Witnessed Events standard query is that the Roles are distributed across multiple columns from 1 Role to 9 Role, and you must scroll right to find them all, so it is easy to miss some.

The List all Witness Events Plugin I've mentioned many times, more conveniently lists all the Roles in one column.
So clicking the Role column heading lists them in alphabetical order which is much easier to review. Please try that.
It is similar to the List Name Only Witnesses Plugin, both available from Witness reporting (11976).

Now to converting Marriage Witness Attributes to Fact Witnesses ...

The All Individuals with Marriage Witness Attribute query should give all you need to convert to Fact Witnesses.
I suggest you click on the Marriage Witness column heading to group identical Marriage couples together so that you can add their Fact Witnesses all in one go.

So let us work through say the Witness to Marriage of William Richard PARROT & ... pair of entries.
Make a note of the witness Individuals and their Record Id i.e. Fanny & Fred CLARK [693] & [689].

Now find the Marriage event for William Richard PARROT where the Fact Witnesses need to be added.
In the Facts tab right-click that Marriage event and choose Witnesses.
In the Witnesses for Marriage dialogue, click Add > Add Individual(s)..., select each person noted above, and click OK.
In the Edit Witness Details dialogue, select the Role: of Witness and click OK.

Back in the Witnesses for Marriage dialogue, select the 1st person and select Go To > Local Event for Witness.
That shows 1st person's Facts tab with a new blue arrow Witness next to old blue bullet Marriage Witness attribute.
( You may have to move the Witnesses for Marriage dialogue to one side, but do not Close it. )
Select that Marriage Witness attribute and click the X Delete Fact button.

Back in the Witnesses for Marriage dialogue, select the 2nd person and select Go To > Local Event for Witness.
Repeat the process as for the 1st person above, and keep on repeating until every witness has been reviewed.

Then you can return to the query Result Set and repeat the entire process for the next Marriage couple listed.
Don't worry if you cannot complete them all in one session. Just run the query again later and do some more.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello Mike and thanks for your last mail!

I have trudged through the conversion and I finally have all Marriage Witness Roles as Fact Witness with the Gear Wheel!

It has opened my eyes a bit because of the 75 that I had had to convert, there were a number with only one witness attached (the ones I could link at the time i.e. Father, Mother, Sister, Brother etc). However, the In-Laws, cousins, fiance's and the friends were put in the notes section. So I took a bit of time tracking down these individuals, some are now Attached Individuals and the others are under Name Only option.

It looks like I am going to have to look at all Marriages, Birth and Death Certs, plus the Name only individuals who may have actually become Attached Individuals through time to really polish it up!!! Is there a query to show all marriages that have an entry in the relevant notes section?

Is there anything else I need to know about this process?

Thank very much for your help.

Cheers
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it is often the case that reviewing data finds new information.

I think we have covered the process fairly thoroughly.

Take a look at fhugdownloads:contents:query_all_facts_filter_by_date_label_or_text|> Query:Fact ~ All Facts Filter by Date, Label, or Text.
The All Facts Filter by Label can filter for Marriage.
The All Facts Filter by Text can find text in a Note (and elsewhere).
Combine the Rows tab filter from both to find Marriage events with whatever Text you are looking for.
BUT replace the Add if Condition in each with Exclude unless so you get:

Exclude unless =FactLabel(%FACT%) matches 'Marriage'
Exclude unless =ContainsText(%FACT%,["Find Text"],STD) is true
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello Mike,

Still ploughing through the Name Only Witnesses, there are a number of names that I have now included as linked individuals....a major tidy up ready for my update to TNG soon.

Along with my photo project I now have some individuals connected to photos in FH, it is looking more and more interesting by the day.

Thanks for your help on the Witness conversion.

Cheers
PP