* Adding county/state to text entry

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Adding county/state to text entry

Post by Johnr65 »

Is it possible for the AS program to add the county/state in the 'text entry' part of marriages, etc. It seems pointless for me to enter it on the form and then have to do it again when presumably the program could do it? :?:
mjashby
Megastar

Re: Adding county/state to text entry

Post by mjashby »

Have a look at: ancestralsources:tutorial:templates:auto_text_templates|> Ancestral Sources Tutorial ~ Working With Templates ~ (3) Auto Text

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, whatever you enter in the Place: box near the top is associated with the {PLACE} keyword.
That keyword can be used in Templates to automatically add the contents of the Place: box.
Similarly, {PLACE.SHORT} will substitute the first part of Place: up to the first comma.
Many of the predefined Marriage Auto Text Templates do that already, so I don't understand your problem John.
Perhaps you are not using the Auto button to select a predefined Template and are just typing text manually into the Text box?

Maybe you need to revisit the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_tutorial_entering_marriage_facts|> Ancestral Sources Tutorial ~ Enter Marriage Facts and carefully study the ancestralsources:tutorial:marriage:edit_auto_text_and_note|> Ancestral Sources Tutorial ~ Enter Marriage ~ (5) Edit Auto Text and Note section.

OR are you saying you want AS to automatically pick out a specific comma separated part from the Place: box?
i.e. if Place: is Dallas, Texas, USA then select just Texas or just USA
{PLACE} will select Dallas, Texas, USA
{PLACE.SHORT} will select Dallas
but other comma separated parts cannot be selected at present.
So to get Texas you would have to use {PLACE} and manually delete Dallas, and , USA ~ sorry.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

As you know Mike I'm a technophobe when it comes to reading programming techniques-I'm blinded by science. My point is it should be automatically in the template without me fiddling with it? If I start playing with it, likely end in disaster! :x
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The {PLACE} and {PLACE.SHORT} keywords are used in the templates if you click the Auto button.
But they can only substitute the whole Place or just the short part up to the first comma.

Currently, there is no way of substituting just a middle comma separated part such as the County or State.

The problem AS has is knowing which comma separated part holds the County in your custom Place format.
Is it the 2nd part, or the 3rd part, or perhaps the 4th part? Maybe always the penultimate part?
You only enter the whole comma separated Place on the form and don't tell AS which part is the County.
You may know it is the 2nd part, but AS does not know that, so cannot automatically insert the County where needed.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Ah well back to the drawing board again I guess as the logic defeats me. I suppose if the address entered was broken down to number/name, road etc, town, city, county/state & country that would help or else defeat the object?
:roll:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are absolutely correct that using the Address subsidiary structured fields might offer a solution.
That is because there is a standard GEDCOM specification that AS and FH and users can all comply with.
However, users would have to fill in those subsidiary fields for every Address they entered into AS and FH instead of using the comma separate top level Address format. AS would have to be updated to use that feature.

The only snag is the standard defines City, State, Country which does not cater for the USA County.

An alternative that would work with the comma separated Place fields would be an AS associative definition.
I will give you an example. There would be a dialogue in AS that had two columns such as illustrated below:
Part Keyword
1 => {TOWN}
2 => {COUNTY}
3 => {STATE}
4 => {COUNTRY}

That would represent the Place four column format Town, County, State, Country, but by changing the Part numbers the user could define another association that matched their own Place format. Assuming they continued to use that format, the definition would only need to be entered into AS once.