* Baptism Entry

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
lastejas
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Baptism Entry

Post by lastejas »

I'm not sure if I'm missing somethings but at the moment I am entering quite a number of pre 18th Century baptisms, and in those days the mother was not usually Shown.

1. On the AS Main Info page I uncheck the "Mother" box
2. On the AS Residence page I uncheck the "Mother's Residence" box

But when the record is added to FH I'm finding a "Mother's Residence" fact and it's sourced to the baptism. So that means that after adding a batch of Baptisms I then have to go through all the Mothers and delete these Residence Facts.

Surely that's not correct? if I've unchecked the two boxes then it should not be added.
Rick ~ Researching the Hooley's of Cheshire
http://www.oceanwharf.com
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Baptism Entry

Post by tatewise »

If you check the Help you will find that those tick options determine whether the details are added to the Auto Text transcript that goes into the FH Text From Source field.

To inhibit the Occupation or Residence facts, ensure the AS fields are cleared of any Occupation or Place/Address details.

So if the mother is not mentioned in the Baptism record then don't enter any of her details at all.
If they get auto-filled, then clear them before saving.
This arguably should also apply to the Mother name and ID fields as the document does not 'prove' the mother.
That is all explained in the AS Help pages for Baptism Records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If a woman takes a child to church to be baptised, it's a pretty strong indicator that she's the mother -- or the incumbent doing the baptising believes she's the mother. The father is more debatable, even if he believes he's the father ;)

It's no less proof than a birth registration, for example, and no more proof either.
lastejas
Diamond

Post by lastejas »

Thanks Mike for the info.
I have now solved the problem. I thought if you delete something it's deleted but apparently not. You have to use the "clear" link next to the field and not just delete what's in the fields.
lastejas
Diamond

Post by lastejas »

Thanks Helen for those "Pearls of Wisdom"
Maybe there is a need to have witnesses to the birth, the conception might be a little more difficult.?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

English Royalty used in insist on witnesses to the consummation of marriage and to the birth.

There are many reasons I'm glad I'm not English royalty.