* 32bit or 64 bit AS

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
JennyG
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

32bit or 64 bit AS

Post by JennyG »

I've just discovered that my new laptop is 64bit and I have downloaded the 32bit version. I haven't used it yet so should I uninstall AS and install the 64 bit version or just leave it alone?
As you will have gathered I am not very computer literate relying on nephew and nieces for advice!
tatewise
Megastar

Re: 32bit or 64 bit AS

Post by tatewise »

It does not really matter Jenny.
The only rule is that 32-bit AS must be installed in a 32-bit version of Windows.

The 32-bit AS will work just fine, the same as the 32-bit FH, in 64-bit version of Windows.
But if you like you can uninstall the 32-bit AS and install the 64-bit AS.

I presume you used the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide as well as the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide?

FYI:
32-bit is smaller that 64-bit, so you can fit 32-bit into a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.
But you cannot fit 64-bit into 32-bit Windows.
It is somewhat like pints and quarts.
You can get a pint into a pint or quart pot, but cannot get a quart into a pint pot.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 15 Oct 2019 18:53 The only rule is that 32-bit AS must be installed in a 32-bit version of Windows.
Mike, do you mean 64-bit AS must be installed in 64-bit version of Windows? As you said yourself later, you can fit 32-bit into either a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I stand by what I said. Although maybe could have been phrased better.
That is why I added the FYI:...

If running 32-bit Windows you can only install 32-bit applications which includes AS and FH.
You cannot install 64-bit applications into 32-bit Windows.

If running 64-bit Windows you can install either 32-bit or 64-bit applications such as AS.

The only rule is that 32-bit AS must be installed in a 32-bit version of Windows.
The corollary being that 64-bit AS cannot, which leads to your assertion.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

This is ambiguous and I think it should be phrased differently:
On a first reading this appears to mean that 32-bit AS it can be installed only in 32-bit Windows. In fact it can be installed in either 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, as Jenny has already discovered.

What you mean is that if you have a 32-bit version of Windows you have to use the 32-bit version of AS.
Lorna
JennyG
Diamond

Post by JennyG »

Thank you both for your advice. I think I shall keep with the 32-bit. I haven't done anything about moving previous data over as I am away from home. It is all stored on Dropbox and I shall deal with it when I am home again when, who knows?, I may end up with further queries!!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since some of your data is in Dropbox, the migration process is simplified, but do ask for details.

However, I suspect custom Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Type Definitions, Plugins, etc, etc, are NOT saved in Dropbox and need to be handled carefully.
JennyG
Diamond

Post by JennyG »

I've been away and have started the process of moving AS to my new pc. Everything is saved to Dropbox.
On my old pc the 3 AS files are clearly stored on Dropbox. On my new pc the location of the AS files has been automatically filled in as Onedrive. Should I delete these and write in the Dropbox locations or is it more complicated than that?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I presume AS chose to use OneDrive by default, because you have moved your Documents folder there, and so that is where AS put its Ancestral Sources folder.

Yes, delete that unwanted folder, and use the AS Tools > Options > General settings tab to browse to the three Dropbox folders similar to your other PC. That deals with the various backups, logs & template settings files.

However, take note of the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide where it explains how to migrate all the Windows Registry settings for the Tools > Options tabs. Otherwise, you will find that all those settings will disagree with the other PC.
JennyG
Diamond

Post by JennyG »

Umm.
I have realised that I didn't make any changes to FH when I moved from Windows 7 to 10 3 years ago. I just carried on as before. I have not done any personalising so far because I have just been using FH for recording data and producing trees and family sheets. I have also not made use of plugins.
This is so embarassing. What should I do?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If happy with the way you are working there is no need to do anything.
JennyG
Diamond

Post by JennyG »

Thank you. I've just spent time at Scotlandspeople but didn't want to start entering the data until I was confident it would be properly handled.