* Changed name of project - bit of a mess

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
j9sunny
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Changed name of project - bit of a mess

Post by j9sunny »

Hello,
I am a long-time but very intermittent user of FH and AS. Before using your Gedcom system, I used to input census details manually and individually, sometimes downloading the image but not always, then I switched to Gedcom system so rendering my project a bit of a hybrid.
I've just installed AS on a new pc not having used it for some years. I copied across the gedcom files, thought I'd test AS out with my project but drew a blank. I looked at the text log and realised that I have actually renamed my project at some point.
Given that a few years have passed and I am now two more installations down the line, am I best to bite the bullet and start again?
We are talking census only.
Thanks
Janine
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Changed name of project - bit of a mess

Post by jbtapscott »

If you successfully open your project in FH, there is a Plugin Ancestral Sources Data Entry (you might need to download it from the FH Store), that auto passes the project name / location over to AS.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Janine, the advice given by Brent is excellent.

But how did you copy your FH Projects to the new PC?
You only mentioned GEDCOM files but the Projects consist of much more.

Did you follow all the advice in how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide and in ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
j9sunny
Gold

Post by j9sunny »

Thanks for the answers, will investigate.
Re projects, I just copied the Family History Projects folder straight over and my project was there..
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I imagine you also copied over the Ancestral Sources folder of settings & logs, etc.
Otherwise, AS would have had no knowledge of past Project names.
If, as you say, you have renamed your Project then you need to tell AS about that change.
The safest way to do that is to use the Plugin as advised by Brent, but it can also be done inside AS by using the Open FH Project command and selecting from the list.
j9sunny
Gold

Post by j9sunny »

Hi both,
Have installed the plug-in, tried it with an entry from the 1911 census and it has worked so all seems to be fine with the world again. All I need is some time to catch up with a box file or two full of entries!
Many thanks
Janine
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Before you go too far may I suggest you investigate the AS custom Template features.
They let you customise Source Titles, Media Titles & Filenames, and also Auto Text that defines the Text From Source field.

See the ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources User Guide tutorials for entering facts and working with options & templates.