* Ancestral Sources & Family Historian 5

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
CurtisB48
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

Ancestral Sources & Family Historian 5

Post by CurtisB48 »

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have had a long break from using both Family Historian 5 & Ancestral Sources since last used in 2014.

Today I planned to refresh my memory and start using Family Historian 5 + Ancestral Sources. My browser (Firefox Quantum version 57.0.4 (64-bit)) blocked my version Ancestral Sources 5.1.3. Do I have to upgrade to the latest verson of Ancestral Sources or should I continue with my current version & how do I stop Firefox from blocking it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestral Sources & Family Historian 5

Post by tatewise »

Hi Brian, I am not sure I understand your problem.

Usually you run AS as a PC program and don't need a browser at all.
So what exactly were you doing to cause Firefox to block AS and what form did the 'block' take?

It would be advisable to download and install the latest AS V5.2.0 from ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources.

I have Firefox Quantum version 57.0.4 (64-bit) and it downloads AS V5.2.0 and AS runs OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
CurtisB48
Diamond

Post by CurtisB48 »

Hi Mike, Must be cracking up, too many interuptions at home today.

I should have said it was my BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2018 software as follows:

"Feature: Safe Files

The application ancestral sources.exe attempted to change a file in a protected folder and was blocked.
Protected folder: c:\users\brian\documents\family historian projects\family historian sample project\family historian sample project.fh_data

Keep blocking the application if you do not recognize it or did not want to edit one of your protected files right now. Allow the application only if you trust the source it came from.
Click the "Learn more" button below for an informative article on data protection and Safe Files."

Not been able to look at "Learn more"

Sorry about the confusion. Brian
CurtisB48
Diamond

Post by CurtisB48 »

Mike

Have look a Google which took me to Bitdefender and it appears that my problem (which is affecting other users) is because Bitdefender thinks that Ancestral Souces is Ransomware! Other people are having a bigger problem than me with Bitdefender's "Safe Files"

I think that I will download Ancestral Sources v5.2 if it is compatible with my Family Historian 5, if I get the same error from Bitdefender I will overide it, many people are complaining about how much information is being treated this way.

Brian
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Bit Defender is just being cautious, quite rightly, because Ancestral Sources doesn't have a software certificate to prove who it has been created by. Last time I investigated purchasing a certificate it cost over £100 a year to do so, which I didn't really feel I wanted to pay for what is effectively software that I supply free-of-charge. From the message you've posted, Bit Defender doesn't suggest that Ancestral Sources is ransomware, it says:
"Keep blocking the application if you do not recognize it or did not want to edit one of your protected files right now. Allow the application only if you trust the source it came from."
but you do recognise it and you do, presumably, trust the source it came from so you should unblock it.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
keith_r59
Gold

Post by keith_r59 »

BitDefender Safe Files is doing exactly what it should be doing namely only allowing access to your personal information from applications which you have said should have access. That is the whole point of the feature.

A detailed description of how it works can be found here - https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/su ... swer/2025/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This sounds very similar to the problems in Family Historian won't load (15590) and I suspect the solution is the same, so add AS as an exclusion in BD.
CurtisB48
Diamond

Post by CurtisB48 »

Thanks for all your help Mike, Nick & keith_r59.

I am now up and running with Ancestral Sources Version 5.1.3 after following the Bitdefender instructions indentified by keith. I had not experienced any problems with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018 until I tried opening Nick's Ancestral Sources, should I download the latest version of AS or continue with my current version?

Nick. Thanks for your comments, I do trust your Ancestral Sources and used it quite a lot when I first bought Family Historian 5 back in 2013, without AS I would not have managed to enter facts correctly. It was only yesterday when I wanted to use AS after a long break from my family history I discovered the anomaly, I tend not to interfere/fiddle with program settings and sought help from the ever reliable FHUG users.

Thanks again to everybody for your help.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, download the latest AS version as it fixes a number of problems and adds new features.

BTW: Are you using the latest Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin to launch AS from FH?
CurtisB48
Diamond

Post by CurtisB48 »

Mike thanks for your reply.

Just checked and I am using the Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin and have updated to Ancestral Souces v 5.2. Thanks for all your help.

Brian