* to recover trees

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
saban
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

to recover trees

Post by saban »

3 years ago I had to put my PC away due to ill health. I am now 85, partially sighted and have memory loss. I would like to ask that as I can no longer find my trees would it be better if I started all over again. Time is not on my side!!!!
Ron

ID:6996
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

to recover trees

Post by tatewise »

If your trees were on your PC when you put it away, then they must still be there.

When you open Family Historian, what happens?

If you use File > Project Window are any Projects listed?

If you use File > Gedcom File Tasks are any .ged files listed?

Is there anyone you know who could help you find the trees (GEDCOM files) on your PC?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

to recover trees

Post by Jane »

If Mikes suggestions don't work, then you can also search your computer for your files. Do you know what version of Windows you are using?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
saban
Diamond

to recover trees

Post by saban »

tatewise said:
If your trees were on your PC when you put it away, then they must still be there.

Is there anyone you know who could help you find the trees (GEDCOM files) on your PC?
saban
Diamond

to recover trees

Post by saban »

thank you Jane & Mike for your replies.
To you first Jane because it is easie;
The name of my computer is p-VA10It is windows 7 Home Premium and has a a 64 bit operating system.
Now for you MikeWhen I open FH it just tells me what tutorials there are.
I do not see a project Window
Nothing on Gedcom
I do not know of anyone who is interested in FH. I could get an 'expert' in 20-30 pounds who will no doubt find my trees but will not show me wha to do.
I have about 80 trees (hard Copy) but do not know now how I got them.
I still have my FH4 book and also a CD. What I would like to do is delete everything appertaining to Fh on my PC, insert the disk and start learning all over again.
It is hard for me to explain but I cannot recall a single thing on how I got these trees. It will mean that from time to time I will have to ask questions from someone. could you make any suggestions. Would there be a 2sell by date2 on the CD? Would I still be able to use it? Is this the correct forum to ask questions?
Thank you both for your time - wish me luck
Ron
tatewise said:

Jane
Site Admin

to recover trees

Post by Jane »

Ron,

On Windows 7 if you press the start button and then type

*.ged

and then press enter, windows will search your computer for gedcom file (trees), if you do that do you see any files other that the Sample and Tutorial files which FH installs.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
saban
Diamond

to recover trees

Post by saban »

Thank you JaneI get Sample project and Tutorial No. 6.
My email is ron.saban@btinternet.com could you please advise how to get on to the user group and if the disk that I have for FH4 is ok to use.
Thank you very much
Ron
Jane
Site Admin

to recover trees

Post by Jane »

Ron this is the user group, I am not sure what you are asking for. If you only have a couple of gedcom files it suggests you don't have any of your own gedcom files on the computer.
Jane
saban
Diamond

to recover trees

Post by saban »

Hello Jane. I am sure that I am a nuisance, and probably you will say let us finish this question. However I will have one last shot.
even though I have hard copy of several trees (78) I do not know how I got them: this is all due to memory loss and possibly my grandchildren playing about with my PC, this can not happen any more!!
Within the next two hours I am going to delete everything appertaining to Family Historian and then insert the disc that I have and start again. I do have 'the book' and with the aid of my glass I have started reading the first three chapters and will go on from there. Undoubtedly I shall want to ask questions, can I do this in this forum if I cant find the answer in the knowledge base?
Regarding my request about the user guide, I seem to recall that in 2010 prior to my problems that there were many people, including yourself who answered problems through email. Apart from yourself I seem to remember the name Simon Ord and also someone who had developed a census return form. Is my memory playing tricks or has this particular service now finished?
Again many thanks for your time
Ron Saban
tatewise
Megastar

to recover trees

Post by tatewise »

Ron, this is the best User Forum similar to what you recall.
Simon Orde the author of FH sometimes does post here.
Nick Walker developed Gedcom Census which he has superseded with Ancestral Sources.
The E-mail support you recall does not support images such as shown below, nor does it support all the other services offered here.

Please do NOT delete FH as it is probably working OK.
In any case it should be Uninstalled via the Windows 7 Control Panel > Programs and features.

Does your opening FH window look anything like this Tutorial?

If so then click on File top left and choose Project Window.
What does it list under Family Historian Projects ?
e.g.

Alternatively, click on File top left and choose Gedcom File Tasks.
Is there a list of numbered .ged files below the top three options.
e.g.
saban
Diamond

to recover trees

Post by saban »

Hello again, thank you so much for your time and help.
I did not have any of the diagrams that you sent and so, as you suggested, I uninstalled Family Historian.
I then put in the disk which happens to be version4 whereas I believe the version I uninstalled was 4.1. This does not matter. I then registered, and the PC restarted.
Wait for it, surprise, surprise I got a project window showing on the first line Family Historian Sample Project, last update 28/03/2009. The second line says THE SABAN SAGA (that's me) last update 27/02/2010
When I click on sample project I get Ian Stephen Munro and all his family. When I click on the Saban Saga I get myself as the root person
This is wonderful because it means that all is not lost. BUT, I cannot remember what to do next. I really would like to start again and hopefully remember what I did 3 years ago.
Could I please ask just two more questions
1, Is there a tutorial that I could work through, I thought that I might print off a few pages and work through them
2, On the sample project and the saga there is a lot of wring in pale blue and orange; is it possible for me to change the colour because even with my glass it is very difficult to read

Sorry to be such a pain and if you and Jane would like me to finish this thread I will certainly do so

Thank you
Ron Saban
tatewise
Megastar

to recover trees

Post by tatewise »

If you use Help > Getting the Most From Family Historian 4 that opens a PDF document with worked tutorials.

Although it applies to FH V5 the following tour is useful http://www.family-historian.co.uk/tour.

The following You Tube video explains how to adjust Focus window colours, etc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEGPSND37S4.

May I suggest you download and install the free FH V4 Upgrade 4.1.3 from this FHUG site Home page.

Furthermore there is much advice via the How To's link in Main Menu top left.

Experiment as much as you like with the Sample Project and Tutorials before updating your SABAN project.
Remember that most windows have their own Help button too.

Also, please continue this thread for as long as you like.