* Unable to open gedcom files

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
henkel12
Family Historian: None

Unable to open gedcom files

Post by henkel12 »

Having changed my computer recently and had considerable trouble installing my FH gedcom files, things have been going well for a few weeks. Now, however, I am unable to open four out of five of my files.

I have found the Shortcut files in the Recycle Bin! and moved them to 'FH files & letters' where the zip files are also situated. And with Mike's help, I have been trying to locate and open the actual gedcom files without success. I have tried Properties with the Coles file, which shows the Target as C:DocumentsColes-H.ged; and Start in: C:Documents. But I've still not been able to open it.

ID:7057
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

I am surprised the Shortcut refers to C:Documents.
That is NOT the usual location of your My Documents folder.

But if you look in the C:Documents folder, is the Coles-H.ged file there?

Alternatively, look in your My Documents folder for Coles-H.ged.

The full path for your My Documents folder will be something like C:UsersHenryDocuments where Henry is your username, as long as the Windows version is later than XP.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Just use windows explorer to navigate to the gedcom folder and double click on the gedcom itself (Not the shortcut) and it should open in FH.
henkel12
Family Historian: None

Post by henkel12 »

Following your message, I've now looked through all My Documents. It seems strange to me that it is labelled 'My Documents40W3a4r5t6u'? But I found all the files hidden in the Gas Account file! I have now moved them to a file called FH Gedcom Files, and it works - Hey Presto!
I don't think it was quite what you were telling me to do, but it seems to me that if it works perhaps I'd do well to leave it.
One other point, in the text you sent, you said 'provided your computer is post XP. I thought it was but having checked, I find that it is XP.

Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction once again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I recall from the FHU Mailing dialogue that this XP PC was donated by someone.
You should ask them about unusual features such as the My Documents folder being named My Documents40W3a4r5t6u.

Its full path name should normally be C:Documents and SettingsHenryMy Documents where Henry is your Username.

If you have linked Multimedia files, then check them by using Tools > Work with External File Links to see if any are marked with a X.
If so, this problem needs to be fixed.

Regarding Backup ZIP files, you should create an FH Backup Files folder for them.
Then in FH, use Tools > Preferences > Backup tab and << Select the Default Backup Folder to refer to this folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry