* second marriage

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jje
Family Historian: None

second marriage

Post by jje »

Hey all, I am using FH5 and have a little problem. My wife was married before and i would like to see here first husband in the family tree also. But he is not shown. My wifes parents is in the same way. Is it possibly to see them in my tree???
Sorry if there are spelling mistakes.

thanks in advance,
jørgen

ID:6537
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

second marriage

Post by tatewise »

jørgen ~ Welcome to the FHUG.
This is quite a common problem for new FH users.

I suspect you are selecting your own Individual Record in FH and viewing the All Relatives Diagram.

This introduces several useful techniques that you might like to try.

(1) Select Both Spouses in Diagram
In the All Relatives Diagram select your box so it has 8 blue markers on the border.
Hold down the Ctrl key and similarly select your wife's box, so both of you are selected.
While both boxes are selected, display the All Relatives Diagram again and her husband and parents will be included.

(2) Select Family Record
Firstly, your Records Window probably has no Families tab displayed.
Enable it using Tools > Preferences > Records Window and set all Record Type Display Options to Always show or Hide if none, then click OK.
Now open the Records Window and select the Families tab.
Select you and your wife's Family Record and view the All Relatives Diagram to get the same effect as above.

(3) View Diagram Root Dialogue
Use menubar View > Standard Diagram Types > All Relatives to display Select Diagram Root dialogue.
Set Tree Root Type to Couple and Browse... for Root Couple.
Choose the Families tab and select you and your wife's Family Record as above.
Click the > Add to Selection button and then OK twice.
The All Relatives Diagram should display as above.

There is also a Wish List item that if implemented would automatically perform the above.
Visit Entire Pool Diagram and vote for it.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Bonzo
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

second marriage

Post by Bonzo »

Interesting reply tatewise; I did not know that. I should read the instructions one day!

In (1) you have missed a step - you need to select couple in the dropdown box ( You only have a choice of Individual or couple so it is quite obvious ) then the family in the next box.
tatewise
Megastar

second marriage

Post by tatewise »

Bonzo, I deliberately included all three methods for everyone's benefit.

I think you are mixing up method (1) with method (3).

In method (1) the All Relatives Diagram has already been displayed after selecting any Individual in the Focus Window or Records Window and clicking the All Relatives Diagram toolbar icon.
jje
Family Historian: None

second marriage

Post by jje »

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the late responds, it's because of a long flue with complications.

/jje[smile]
Dagwood
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

second marriage

Post by Dagwood »

tatewise said:
....................This introduces several useful techniques that you might like to try..........................
Mike , I got a great deal from your most detailed reply but how do I 'Click the > Add to Selection button and then OK twice' ie I cannot find that button [confused]
Dagwood
tatewise
Megastar

second marriage

Post by tatewise »

Presumably you negotiated the rest of the Select Diagram Root dialogue, Root Couple and Families tab.
The > button is in the middle of the dialogue along with <, and if you hover the cursor on it the tool-tip says Add to Selection.
Dagwood
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

second marriage

Post by Dagwood »

Thanks Mike, I'm with it now
Dagwood