* Editing Raw Rich Text

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ChrisRead
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Editing Raw Rich Text

Post by ChrisRead »

I know there is a method for editing the underlying rich text that I used a year ago, but I've forgotten what key and click combination it was. I have tried searching help and forum, but don't seem to have hit the right search term yet, so resorted to just asking.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Editing Raw Rich Text

Post by tatewise »

In any multi-line text box (such as Note, Text From Source, etc) just double-click the box text.
Alternatively, click the [...] button that appears on the right of the box when it is selected.

Those two methods will open the Rich Text editing window with Word-Processor style toolbar across the top.
Make sure the Rich Text window is wide enough to reveal all the buttons in the toolbar.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you actually meant you wanted to see the Raw text with the control fields in plain text you can do so.
Press-and-hold both the Ctrl and Alt key and then double-click on a Rich Text field in the Property Box.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah, yes! That shortcut is not mentioned in the FH Help page for Keyboard Shortcuts!
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Well, that's cool! Thanks for the tip!!

Teresa :) (who immediately opened FH and tried it out)...
Jane wrote: 17 Aug 2022 14:56 If you actually meant you wanted to see the Raw text with the control fields in plain text you can do so.
Press-and-hold both the Ctrl and Alt key and then double-click on a Rich Text field in the Property Box.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

tatewise wrote: 17 Aug 2022 15:04 Ah, yes! That shortcut is not mentioned in the FH Help page for Keyboard Shortcuts!
No it won't be, a novice user could end up in all sorts of confusion by trying to edit it directly.

It's a easter egg designed for plugin developers to be able to see how to structure rich text when composing it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Jane wrote: 17 Aug 2022 14:56...
Oh that could be useful if the formatting isn't behaving and I can't figure out why...
Adrian
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Bit like Ctrl-Shft-I in web-pages!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

davidf wrote: 17 Aug 2022 15:49 Bit like Ctrl-Shft-I in web-pages!
F12 is simpler :D
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
ChrisRead
Famous

Post by ChrisRead »

Just remembered I asked this, thanks for the reply. I was using it a year ago when I was creating some Rich Text templates. I actually did most work in the end in AS rather than FH, but initially I was playing around using MS Word to create and then putting in FH, but it was a bit 'random'. It was mainly about doing variable column tables, which can only really be done in raw RT codes.

It's not for the faint hearted as you can mess up and spend ages fiddling around, but useful to know it exists. This time I'll put it in a Research Note so I can't forget.

Oh, and yes, it's frustrating it isn't in the Help. It can always have Experts Only warning.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.