* Edit text in charts

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
WNMCG
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Edit text in charts

Post by WNMCG »

I haven’t been able to find the answer in the knowledge base…In a saved chart, can you edit text in an individual’s box and not have the changes appear in their property box? Thanks.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Edit text in charts

Post by LornaCraig »

What kind of changes were you thinking of?

It’s not possible to edit the text directly, but some changes can be achieved by the use of flags in conjunction with changes to the text scheme which is used in the chart.

For example if you wanted to hide an individual’s date of birth in the chart you could set a flag on the individual called ‘hide birth’ and modify the Birth line in the text scheme to make it conditional on the ‘hide birth’ flag NOT being set. Then the birth date will only be displayed for individuals who do not have the flag.

If you can give an example of the kind of edit you want to make we can give more guidance.

The above method is a bit cumbersome but there is a Wish List request for Better Diagram Box Format Options, which includes the request for the ability to selectively override the text in any box. Vote for it if you would like it!
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Lorna requests, please explain the type of text edit you need to perform.

There is no general text editor that allows arbitrary changes to the contents of an Individual box.
All text changes must be controlled via the Diagram > Options > Text Scheme.

Lorna has suggested using a Record Flag but if the changes only apply to a few Individuals, conditional functions using Record Id can be used as illustrated below.

Template: =TextIf( (RecordId() = 1) or (RecordId() = 6), "This is specific text", "" )

That will display This is specific text only in the boxes of the two Individuals with Record Id = 1 and 6.
Every other box will display nothing (or whatever you place between the second set of string quotes).

Template: =TextIf( RecordId() = 6, FactText(%INDI.BAPM[1+]%,"CT","E_Bap: _ in _"), "" )

That will display Baptism facts only in the box of the Individual with Record Id = 6.

I suggest that you do NOT use Edit Text Scheme... on a standard Text Scheme but use Clone... to create a custom copy and edit that copy instead.
You can either Edit any of the existing Used Items or use > to add a <Custom item...> from Available Items on the left.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

WNMCG wrote: 16 Aug 2022 01:14 I haven’t been able to find the answer in the knowledge base…In a saved chart, can you edit text in an individual’s box and not have the changes appear in their property box? Thanks.
When you say "in a saved chart" do you mean
  1. in a specifically saved FH Diagram (saved - V6- via Menu>Diagram>Save Diagram) which creates a saved Chart (accessed for further editing via - V6 - Menu>View>Saved Charts), or
  2. an FH diagram that you have saved in another format eg. jpeg or pdf?
If (1) above, the previous replies all apply as the neat way to achieve what I think you want.

("Charts" - "Diagrams"? I have given up trying to understand the historic difference and treat them as being interchangeable terms.)

There is also a grubby quick fix that I have on occasion used just prior to printing. You can - V6 again - via a right click in a diagram, insert a text box, enter the text you want, format the text box to match the diagram item you want to "amend", size the text box appropriately and then drag the text box over the "offending" text.

Be aware that if you then print to pdf, a reader may be able to "recover" the blanked out text. This depends on the pdf print driver you use and your pdf reader. So don't use that trick to cover any data with privacy issues.

If (2) above applies, you may find that with external tools you can edit the resulting file. Sometimes you can directly edit text in a pdf. Whether you can or not depends how stuff is sent to your printer. When I was on Windows and V4? I think I found that FH sent diagrams to the nova driver as graphic not formatted text, so direct editing is not available - this was in contrast to MS Word where I could make minor edits to text in a pdf. You will need to experiment with your combination of software and drivers.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
WNMCG
Silver

Post by WNMCG »

Thank you Lorna, Mike and David for your replies. An example of text editing is that my TMG import has custom name tags showing names as they were in a native country. In FH these names are lumped together under a.k.a. without the explanation of the origin. Using "a.k.a." basically removes the intention of the alternate name usage such as native names, foreign language spellings, and foreign nicknames.

Not sure where to find the “Clone” feature. I found that under Diagram if I make a Copy of the diagram and paste it into a Word document, the text editor can be used and the chart revised. That’s going to be my solution for now.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I'm glad you have found a solution which works for you.

For future reference, to clone a text scheme use Diagram > Options > Text tab. The Text scheme being used by your currect diagram will be highlighted. (Scroll down if you can't see it). The Clone button is on the right.

For further guidance on editing text schemes (in case you decide to go down that route) click Edit Text Scheme and then click the Help button.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

WNMCG wrote: 16 Aug 2022 13:55 An example of text editing is that my TMG import has custom name tags showing names as they were in a native country. In FH these names are lumped together under a.k.a. without the explanation of the origin. Using "a.k.a." basically removes the intention of the alternate name usage such as native names, foreign language spellings, and foreign nicknames.
How was the explanation of the origin identified in TMG and how has that been imported into FH?

It may be that the information is in FH but you have not found it yet.
Have you tried looking on the All tab and fully expanding all the Name fields by clicking on all the [+] signs?

If the origin is recorded there then it can be customised to appear in the Diagram box text.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

If it is something specific like displaying "types of names" you might want to use FH features to do so - although how to get there from a TMG import I will leave to others.

You can produce diagrams from data input and held in FH that might show different names, thus:
Multiple names and notes in Diagram
Multiple names and notes in Diagram
Screenshot from 2022-08-16 15-02-10.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 921 times
In V6 to get such an output requires either use of the All tab or some customisation:

In the All tab you can add extra data items if GEDCOM/FH allows, thus:
All Tab and adding Name Notes
All Tab and adding Name Notes
Screenshot from 2022-08-16 15-10-27.png (70.7 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Note:
  • I have added custom tabs Names +" and "Assoc" - ignore these
  • Within the All tab I have clicked on the boxed + signs to open up the data branches
  • You can add "twigs" by going to the data label where you want to add the "twig" and right clicking to see what you can add. Adding a note allows you to add "data about name type".
Alternatively you can customise your data entry tabs to allow direct access to the NAME.NOTE2 field (note the 2 - it is important - the "why" is historic!). That is what my customised Names+ tab does.

FH (V6 and I think V7) does not support the GEDCOM element NAME.TYPE which is specifically for what I think you want - NAME.NOTES2 is a work-around.

To display this information you then have to edit your text scheme to include the %Name.Note2%.
In my example, 2nd and subsequent (hence the 2+) names are displayed by:
%INDI.NAME[2+].NPFX% %INDI.NAME[2+]:FULL% (%INDI.NAME[2+].NOTE2%)
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
WNMCG
Silver

Post by WNMCG »

I'll be working through these suggestions. Again, thanks!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Contrary to what David says, FH V7 does support the INDI.NAME.TYPE field on the All tab.

However, until we know how your explanation of the origin of a Name imports into FH it is difficult to give a precise solution.
We need a screenshot similar to David's for one of your All tabs with the Name fields fully expanded.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Forum Usage Tips for Attachments and Taking Screenshots.