* Privatise or Remove certain Media links from Gedcom Export

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Privatise or Remove certain Media links from Gedcom Export

Post by David Potter »

Hi All
I would like to export my FH7 tree into Family Tree Maker 2019 and then Sync with Ancestry. In doing so I would like to privatise (remove) media for Sources that are UK-GRO related, meaning the Source has a image of the Death, Birth or Marriage Certificate. I do not want these images to be imported into Ancestry due to Copyright issues.

However, I would like other non GRO Source media to be allowed to import into Ancestry.

Is there a way to do this quickly with a mass change in either the Source records or the Media records?
I can filter quite easily to find the Source or Media records which have such an image.

Thank you.
Gowermick
Megastar

Re: Privatise or Remove certain Media links from Gedcom Export

Post by Gowermick »

Whilst I understand your caution, I think that there are no copyright restrictions on certificates issued by GRO.

1. There is certainly no copyright markings on any of the certificates I own
2. I have seen lots of such certificate images in Ancestry trees.
3. Providing a copy of a certificate is often requested by enployers, Insurers etc
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I would suggest you make a copy of your project and then, in the copy, select all the GRO image media records (which you said you can find easily) and add them to a named list. Then select the list and use Lists > Delete Named List Records. Then use the copy project for export to FTM.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

GRO BMD Certificates are in the public domain and can be obtained by anyone for a fee.
So does the fact that they must be bought impose any copyright?

Anyway, the process to follow to remove unwanted Media is as follows.
  1. Use your filter method and put all the GRO Media records to be deleted into a Named List.
    You can keep that list updated with any new GRO Media that is added.
  2. In File > Project Window... use More Tasks... > Copy Project to create a temporary copy.
  3. In the temporary copy Records Window, right-click the Named List and Delete Listed Records...
  4. Now use the Export Gedcom File plugin with GEDCOM Destination: (FTM) Family Tree Maker 2019 to export GEDCOM & Media.
  5. Migrate that GEDCOM file to FTM and sync with Ancestry.
  6. At some later time in File > Project Window... use More Tasks... > Delete Project to remove temporary project.
BTW: If you perform this often, especially if you customise the Export Gedcom File plugin settings, use its Manage Settings tab to select Global ProgramData so the settings are preserved even though the temporary project is deleted.

[Lorna just beat me to it!]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

tatewise wrote: 12 Aug 2022 10:06 GRO BMD Certificates are in the public domain and can be obtained by anyone for a fee.
So does the fact that they must be bought impose any copyright
Here is the Copyright statement from the GRO:

Copyright
The material featured on this website is subject to Crown Copyright unless otherwise indicated. Where any of the Crown Copyright material on this website is being republished or copied to others, the source of the material must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Brian beat me to the Crown Copyright point (which is not the same as public domain). I'll point out that there are different rules around certificates etc. created outside the UK, so worth checking if there are any more restrictive rules on sources you have.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Apart from my usual warning that uploading media to any site (not just Ancestry) means that you are permanently surrendering all control over how it is used and by whom in the future, the other constraint to consider is the Data Protection Act.

This requires that you obtain permission from any living person named on the Certificate. In the case of Death Certificate informants, this can still apply decades after the event was registered.
Mark Draper
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you everyone for the very kind solutions provided; along with advice and clarification.

Very helpful indeed.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

When I have used GRO certs in blog posts, I've included a copyright statement. As I understand the statement below, I'm in compliance. In general, I've see that if something under copyright isn't to be republished without express permission, that information also appears in the copyright statement. I realize I need to add "obtained from the General Register Office" as well...

Teresa
brianlummis wrote: 12 Aug 2022 10:12 Here is the Copyright statement from the GRO:

Copyright
The material featured on this website is subject to Crown Copyright unless otherwise indicated. Where any of the Crown Copyright material on this website is being republished or copied to others, the source of the material must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz