* Indirect relationship

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Gary Carson
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Indirect relationship

Post by Gary Carson »

Is there an expression that show indirect relationship(s) that could be used in a Query?

Something that is similar to indirect relationship(s) shown in the singular "How Related" Tool.
Gary
Win 10, FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Indirect relationship

Post by tatewise »

Try the =Relationship(...) function or =RelationCode(...) function but I'm not sure how they can be used to identify direct versus indirect relationships.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You can check relationcode SPOUSE_START and SPOUSE_END to see if they are related by marriage or if you are looking for non blood relations why not use DnaRelatedness or DnaBloodRelation depending on what you are wanting.

They will be indirect if the DnaBloodRelation false
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Gary Carson
Famous

Post by Gary Carson »

The suggestions only returned blood relationships. I am looking for a query result similar to
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-12 094759.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-12 094759.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Gary
Win 10, FH 7.0.15
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

I don't think it can be done (at least in V6) because queries are "single pass" and to detect indirect relationships you in effect want to say:

"Run the query (1) past everyone in the database and identify all those related to Individual 1 (and how) and for each person identified run the query (2) past everyone in the database and identify all those related to Individual 2 (and how) and report how Individual 1 is related to Individual 2"

And alternative (possibly) is to repose the question and run a query to identify all who are mutual relations of Individuals 1 and 2.

So:
for all people
include if directly related to Individual 1
exclude if not (also) directly related to individual 2
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)