* A strange curved grey line in my diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
geopet544
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

A strange curved grey line in my diagram

Post by geopet544 »

Hello
A strange curved grey line between two people has appeared in my diagram; I think it might be called a Route?
Anyway, I don't want it but cannot see how to get rid of it.
Any Ideas?

Many Thanks

Geopet544
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: A strange curved grey line in my diagram

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It's a 'ribbon' linking two instances in the diagram of the same person.

With the diagram option, go to Diagram > Options and either choose not to 'Check for Duplicates' or explore the Options button next to that checkbox and perhaps turn off 'Link Duplicates in the diagram'. This is the relevant Help
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

They are called 'ribbons' that link two boxes which represent the same person.
i.e. The content of those two boxes is exactly the same person but with two different relationships in your tree.

It has two possible causes; either a valid marriage between 'cousins' means that some people have shared common ancestors and so appear in two positions in your tree; or a marriage has been entered incorrectly but with similar results.

Presumably, you have entered at least one marriage/partnership recently that has caused the 'ribbon' effect.

If the cause is incorrect data entry then that needs to be corrected and the 'ribbon' will vanish.

If the cause is a genuine marriage/partnership then the 'ribbon' can be adjusted via the Diagram > Options.
On the General tab, untick Check for duplicates lower left to remove the 'ribbon' completely.
Alternatively, click Options... and the style of the 'ribbon' can be changed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 09 Aug 2022 12:21 It has two possible causes; either a valid marriage between 'cousins' means that some people have shared common ancestors and so appear in two positions in your tree; or a marriage has been entered incorrectly but with similar results.
Plus, third cause:

If in your diagram you insert another tree (by right clicking on a blank bit of diagram, or by Menu(V6)>Diagram>Insert) and that tree has a person in common with the tree originally in the diagram, you will get a "ribbon" connecting them - which can be useful!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
geopet544
Platinum

Post by geopet544 »

Brilliant - the grey line vanished !

Very many thanks for prompt and superb help

Best wishes

Geopet544
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have just discovered another way to hide those coloured ribbons.
Right-click on a box with a coloured ribbon and chose Format..., then tick Prevent Linking as Duplicate.
That allows each coloured ribbon to be hidden or revealed selectively box by box.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 16 Aug 2022 10:00 I have just discovered another way to hide those coloured ribbons.
Right-click on a box with a coloured ribbon and chose Format..., then tick Prevent Linking as Duplicate.
That allows each coloured ribbon to be hidden or revealed selectively box by box.
I had not spotted that before (it is available in V6). A quirk I have noted but I have not yet fully sussed out is if the ribbon is connecting a duplicate couple, applying Mike's discovery to one of the couple seems to remove the ribbon (setting the check box for both parties), but doing the same with the other member seems not to. Likewise with bringing back the ribbon. I need to get my mind around setting up some form of truth table for all the options - the mind blurs!

For safety's sake and to avoid confusion if working with a duplicated couple, select both (Ctrl click) before checking or unchecking the check box.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)