* Copying a book settings to another project

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Deirdre784
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Copying a book settings to another project

Post by Deirdre784 »

Hopefully an easy question but I can't find out how to do it ...

Having set up a book with the settings I like, fonts, colours etc, I'd like to use the same settings in another project that I'm just starting on - but I can't see a way of copying a book to another project (or won't it work because the same people won't be included - hope that makes sense).

Thanks
Deirdre
Deirdre784
Famous

Re: Copying a book settings to another project

Post by Deirdre784 »

Apologies - I've done it now, so this can be ignored (sorry)
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Deirdre, could you possibly let us know how you did that for the benefit of other users who might need to do the same?
Don't keep the secret to yourself!

e.g. Did you copy the ...fh_data\Books\ folder or what?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

tatewise wrote: 07 Aug 2022 21:20 Deirdre, could you possibly let us know how you did that for the benefit of other users who might need to do the same?
Don't keep the secret to yourself!
Indeed - enquiring minds want to know!!

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

so so sorry, obviously forgot to ask for notifications of replies so only just seen this - as i've just had the same problem again so came back to check the post. Will definitely remember to post if / when sorted.
Deirdre
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Well hopefully this works...... there may well be a better / simpler way but this has just worked for me.

Save a copy of the book you're happy with (in the books and booklets folder). I called mine 'template'. Maybe even add the date to the name in case you create a template you prefer at a later date. Then I deleted all but one of the 'family group sheet' chapters, so 'template' has just the title page, contents, one family group sheet and the index. Save the book.

Go to 'file explorer'. A folder called 'Template' should now be in the fh_data\Books folder of the project where you're pleased with the design. Copy the whole folder, go to the same folder of your 'new' tree, and save. When you go back to your new project, 'template' should be an option in the 'books and booklets' folder. Copy that to a new name, delete the one family group sheet (or other reports) as they're presumably not relevant to the new project, and work on the new book, keeping 'template' for future use.

Hope this helps :)
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you. So you did what I suspected in my first reply and copied a ...fh_data\Books\ folder.

What made me doubt what you wanted was your comment about "won't it work because the same people won't be included".
Certainly, if you tried to keep the Family Group Sheet chapter it would not work in the other Project because the people data references would be different.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Yes - I think I felt it would fail (or cause a problem) as the people from the 'template' book wouldn't be in the new project. As it happens, the report comes through in the new project, including the family. I was surprised the family stayed in the new project though, even after a refresh, but the report is stored in the 'fh_data' folder (as a family group sheet.fhb file).

Pleased it works, as it would be a pain to have to change all the font / colour / size settings each time.
Deirdre