* Disable some facts from Narrative print

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
wildbill
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Disable some facts from Narrative print

Post by wildbill »

I came from Rootsmagic and there in fact definitions I could uncheck some facts of choice so they did not print in narrative reports. These are custom facts I used for different purposes due to some shortcomings in that program but still useful to my research in many ways but I don't want them printing and cluttering narrative reports.

I have been wading around the Family Historian 7 Fact Type options and cannot find any similar option to disable fact print, I have also searched this forum for the same and found nothing. Am I missing something or does an option to disable facts from printing not exist in FH7?

TIA
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Disable some facts from Narrative print

Post by LornaCraig »

You need to look in the Report Options. When you have a report open click the Options button to the right (or use Report > Report Options). On the main tab of the Options you will find that the Individual Events/Attributes and Family Events/Attributes can be controlled by selecting List Only or Exclude List and then editing the list.

You need to do this for each type of report, but it gives you more flexibility than a global 'disablement' would, because you can choose to include more detail in some report types than others.
Lorna
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

If you right click on a fact for an individual the first item in the pop-up 'Fact Flags' has an option to mark as 'Private', which will then enable the fact to be omitted from reports etc., which is similar to the option you had in RootsMagic

Mervyn
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Mervyn's suggestion works for a single instance of a fact for a single individual. However if you want to exclude all instances of that type of fact from a particular type of report you'll probably find it easier to use the Report Options.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since you mention Narrative Reports specifically, in Tools > Fact Types... select the fact to inhibit, then Edit... its definition to change the Sentence Template to code {blank} which blanks the narrative sentence.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wildbill
Platinum

Post by wildbill »

Thank you all and especially Mike Tate, using his suggestion effectively mimics the disabling of some of those custom facts from narrative reports.

I guessed there must have been a way but just could not find it.