* Pictures - Frames moved

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Pictures - Frames moved

Post by ColinMc »

I've noticed that a small but significant number of my images with Frames have been messed up. Instead of being reduced in size to fit a face, they seem to have reverted to maybe a default size, and moved away from the face. These are all images added directly to a person by dragging on to the Media tab in the property box. I suspect its something I've caused myself with a change to a new PC.

In the example attached, image 1 has jumped away from the face to show a building. The others (and I haven't looked to see if any actually have frames) all look OK.
picprob.jpg
picprob.jpg (131.42 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
I'm correcting them as I find them, but I have no idea how widespread the problem is. Is there a way to create a query and create a result of those individuals with images attached via that media tab? That way I can check all images attached to people to spot the errors.

Quite happy to work out my own query, (famous last words) but I would need a fairly hefty nudge in the right direction.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Pictures - Frames moved

Post by tatewise »

Colin, you don't need a Query. Just open the Media Window to display all Media and in the Media List: drop-list top left choose All Individual Media and then All Family Media if you have face frame images attached to Family records.

Do you have similar detail frames for Media documents attached to Source Citations?

If feeling adventurous you could try a Query that lists all Media with a face frame linked to anything.
i.e. Media with an _AREA tag as shown below.

I wonder if the problem is caused by some pixel resolution changes to the images on moving them to the new PC.
The face frame parameters involve four pixel integers that specify the frame boundary area.
e.g.
0 @I321@ Jogn /Smith/
1 OBJE @O54@
2 _SEQ 1
2 _AREA {93,207,208,332}
So I don't understand how they could have become corrupted.
However, if the image pixel resolution increases then the face frame area will move towards top left corner and shrink in size.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Mike's reply just beat me to it. Like him I was going to suggest that the problem is caused by a change in the number of pixels. It might not be a question of resolution, but something as simple as cropping the original image. For example if you crop the left hand edge off the picture (outside FH, using photo editing software) the frame in FH will still start the same distance from the edge as it did previously but it will now sit over the wrong part of the image. Is it possible that you cropped the full image at some time after you had linked it to FH?

By the way I notice that the Media tab's toolbar is missing in your screenshot. Can you account for that?
Lorna
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Colin, you don't need a Query. Just open the Media Window to display all Media and in the Media List: drop-list top left choose All Individual Media and then All Family Media if you have face frame images attached to Family records.
Wow. I'm ashamed to say I have NEVER opened that Media window! I will have a play/explore with it now, but as far as I can see, while it helps a little, in identifying the relevant images, it doesn't show me the frame view. The display I get in the property box tells me instantly if an image is "mis-framed".

So I may well have to be adventurous and look at a query, so thanks for the hint. I hope it will help.
Do you have similar detail frames for Media documents attached to Source Citations?
I cannot be sure, but I think that I'm pretty unlikely to have frames on source images - I have very few "people images" in my sources.
I wonder if the problem is caused by some pixel resolution changes to the images on moving them to the new PC.
That is the answer! That hint together with Lorna's is the help I needed.
but something as simple as cropping the original image ..... Is it possible that you cropped the full image at some time after you had linked it to FH
I certainly did. As I use images regularly for purposes other than Family Historian, I keep all my photos (including tens of thousands of "other family photos") in Lightroom Classic, and when using them for other purposes, I will often crop or otherwise edit an image. Most of those edits wont matter, but I now realise that the cropping will. I had done a quite large batch of cropping recently.

So at least I now know the cause of the problem, and I can minimise it by trying to complete all the necessary batch of crops in advance of tidying up FH.
By the way I notice that the Media tab's toolbar is missing in your screenshot
I cropped the screen grab to keep the image short in length (ie minimal empty space) for the post.

Thanks both for the help.
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

tatewise wrote: 06 Aug 2022 10:45 I wonder if the problem is caused by some pixel resolution changes to the images on moving them to the new PC.
I recently found a similar issue after discovering and running the Show Project Statistics plugin, which reported an "Unusual Multimedia Frame Area for Media File" for several images. On investigating them , the reports all related to images where the frame had moved outside of the image, either partially or completely.

I occasionally copy my desktop settings to my laptop, which has a different screen resolution, and vice versa using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin, so I can see now how the issue has arisen. I went through the reported images and fixed them, but having read this thread I suspect I may need to investigate whether there are other images in my project where a frame has moved but not sufficiently to generate the exception in the plugin.

Is there a specific file that should not be copied if I want to prevent this happening in future? I doubt it's possible to exclude a specific file from the Backup and Restore plugin process, but I could copy the relevant file first, and copy it back after the plugin has been run.

Another issue it would be handy to avoid is copying across the various window sizes and positions. Could be prevented by excluding or replacing another settings file after running the plugin as well?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

RS3100: I think this is a different issue. I don't think the screen resolution makes any difference. The FH frame is specified by reference to the pixels in the original image file, which doesn't change. The screen resolution (number of pixels on the screen) determines how much is seen on the screen without scrolling.

The cases picked up by the Show Project Statistics plugin were probably caused by slightly careless 'drawing' of the frame in FH so that it overshot the edge. I know I have some cases like that which were picked up by the plugin a long time ago but still haven't round to adjusting them!
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

ColinMc wrote: 06 Aug 2022 12:10 I can see, while it helps a little, in identifying the relevant images, it doesn't show me the frame view.
You have not explored all the Media Window options, that will help with Face Frames.
After choosing All Individual Media, select the first image.
Click the View (Toggle Picture/Thumbnail View) icon in the toolbar so only that one image is displayed in righthand pane.
In the Property Box above the image open the Links tab.
In its toolbar select the icon with four blue rectangles (Show All Frames) to show all Face Frames on the image.
Now step through each image by selecting them on the left and ALL the frames on any image will be shown together.
Therefore, you can easily check whether any are out of position in one go without visiting each Individual.
You can identify which frame belongs to which individual by either selecting the frame or selecting the individual above.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree with Lorna regarding Media images and Face Frames. Neither are affected by monitor scaling.
RS3100 wrote: 06 Aug 2022 12:58Another issue it would be handy to avoid is copying across the various window sizes and positions. Could be prevented by excluding or replacing another settings file after running the plugin as well?
All the window size and position parameters are saved in the Windows Registry (along with lots of other settings).
So the only way to avoid migrating those from PC to PC is to skip the Registry Data Keys restore option but you may find other settings that will go missing.
For details see Understanding the Scope of Features under Windows Registry.
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

Ah, OK. Thanks Mike and Lorna. Of the misaligned frames notified to me though, only one had overshot the edge of the image. I had several more where the frame was no longer over the image at all. I had to zoom out to find the frames, which were positioned away from the image to the side, above or below, so I don't know what had happened there.
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

ColinMc wrote: 06 Aug 2022 12:10 I certainly did. As I use images regularly for purposes other than Family Historian, I keep all my photos (including tens of thousands of "other family photos") in Lightroom Classic, and when using them for other purposes, I will often crop or otherwise edit an image. Most of those edits wont matter, but I now realise that the cropping will. I had done a quite large batch of cropping recently.
Colin, Lightroom edits are non-destructive, unless you export your edited file with exactly the same name in exactly the same place.
IE any edits in Lightroom are visual in the editor and can be altered/removed at any time.
Only the exported jpg file will have the adjustments.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

You have not explored all the Media Window options, that will help with Face Frames
Thanks for the detailed explanation. That did make it perfectly feasible. Thanks
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Colin, Lightroom edits are non-destructive, .....Only the exported jpg file will have the adjustments.
Yes I know, but FH cannot see those amendments to the original files. The images need to be published to a separate location for subsequent use in FH. Any alts made in LRC generate a re-publish. It is those crop edits in the re-published images that create the subsequent issue in FH with the frames moving.