* Perhaps an Event with 2 date fields (plotting immigration)

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tparkhill
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Perhaps an Event with 2 date fields (plotting immigration)

Post by tparkhill »

I want to clean up and enter immigration information for many ancestors and then export to plot the data. I don’t have immigration dates for most ancestors. However, I can narrow down a range of years. E.g.
  • Immigration must be after they were born in England and before they died in America,
    If a mother immigrated and baby was born in US, it must be before birth of baby,
    While I am making assumptions, if married in America and baby born in America, it is likely after marriage date, etc.
My goal is to have 2 immigration dates “Earliest Likely” Latest Likely”
Then when I export to Excel or other plotting software, I would plot a horizontal bar with earliest and latest date for each person. I plan to color code bars by country they came from. Then If I plot all this vs. time on x-axis, I have a timeline showing when surges of family immigration happened. I would then add events showing what was going on in their country of origin (etc.) so I could see patterns and drivers of immigration.
I think this will be very interesting for my kids/etc.
To do this, I need Excel file with 2 date columns.
I just tried exporting from standard “Immigration” field.
That field does allow Between 1620 and 1630, for example. But there are currently many date types that come out. I Parse by comma delimited. I can’t parse by space, as too many date formats.
I was thinking I could Copy “Immigration” and add a 2nd date field, so one is earliest date and one is latest date. But the Edit does not seem to allow a second date field.
I guess I can just go through all the records, probably a hundred, and do more of this manually. But was wondering if anyone else has tried having an event with 2 dates?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Trent
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Perhaps an Event with 2 date fields (plotting immigration)

Post by Mark1834 »

I think the option that gives most flexibility is to invest the time to correct all your immigration dates to standard format (i.e. "between x and y"). Export from FH is then straightforward and predictable in its format. I'm not sure if a query could tabulate earliest and latest dates of a range separately, but if not, it would be easy enough to do after export, as they would all be the same format.

Be aware that many general software applications, including Excel, do not deal with dates earlier than the 20th century very well, but if you are only plotting years, that is not a constaint.
Mark Draper
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Mark1834 wrote: 06 Aug 2022 07:10
Be aware that many general software applications, including Excel, do not deal with dates earlier than the 20th century very well, but if you are only plotting years, that is not a constaint.
Mark, I think that only applies if you use YY format instead of YYYY. If you put full year in, there should be no problem.

That is why the year 2000 got everyone worried, because some software developers only used 2 digits for year (saving memory, which was expensive) and assumed century was 1900’s, and then, when 2000 arrived, their software would be making wrong assumption. The correction was to check and correct the format of all dates in the software, to ensure they all used YYYY format!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

In a query you can use

Code: Select all

=Year(%INDI.CENS.DATE:XDATE1%)
and

=Year(%INDI.CENS.DATE:XDATE2%)
To get the years from the first and second date in a range.

P.S The problem with excel is the fact it uses timestamps when computing dates and if you check the Microsoft Documents it specifically states the earliest date for calculations is 1 Jan 1901
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree with Jane regarding Day/Month/Year dates in Excel. They are not supported earlier than 1 Jan 1901.

However, if you reduce all dates to just the year they are treated as integers in Excel.

Unfortunately, Jane chose to use the Census event in her example instead of Immigration which would be the following Expressions in two Columns and would become comma separated in the exported CSV file.

=Year(%INDI.IMMI.DATE:XDATE1%)
and

=Year(%INDI.IMMI.DATE:XDATE2%)
i.e. With a date such as Between Jan 1850 and Feb 1902 the XDATE1 column is 1850 and XDATE2 column is 1902.

If there is only a single date such as 20 Mar 1870 then XDATE1 column is 1870 and XDATE2 column is blank.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

If you want to do date calculations prior to 1900, you could always install LibreOffice (free-ware and an Excel "clone" - pre-Ribbon) - which tells me for instance that the "date difference" in days between the 1871 Census and the 1881 Census is 3654 days
datedif in Libre Office
datedif in Libre Office
Screenshot from 2022-08-06 11-27-22.png (40.58 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Miketate, I am truly astonished that excel still uses such an antiquated system for dates.

Like Mark, I use Libreoffice, (anything but Microsoft :lol: ) which doesn’t suffer the same problem, so I had assumed wrongly that the latest excel used a similar system - my mistake :roll:
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Actually, they both use essentially the same mechanism for dates, with 1 Jan 1901 as the base date, but LibreOffice allows earlier dates to have a negative integer days value, and also caters for the Gregorian date change missing 11 days.
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Thank you all. This is perfect. I do have to consolidate the many "immigration" fields I have in Events and Attributes. But I tested this on one of them in Events (by creating a Test Person, it appears to be the official intended FH Immigration field) and it seemed to work perfectly.
And actually, it appears that when only one year is given, it puts that year in both columns, which will be handy.

One related question . . .

1) once I add a Col into a query, I see that I can Disable it. But often when I am experimenting, I have a Col I tried but no longer want. And I want to remove the Column from the query to avoid confusion (i.e. I want to delete vs disable). I would have guessed there would be a way to do this vs. starting over, either a reverse arrow between "Fields" and "Columns", or a "Delete" option with the Right Click. Am I missing an obvious way to delete?

Thanks agin.
Trent
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, sorry, you are correct and single dates put the Year in both XDATE1 and XDATE2 :oops:
For further details about Dates see the Family Historian Help page for General Topics + Date Formats
https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... rmats.html

To delete a Query Column (or a Row) use the X (Delete) lower left below the list of Columns, just above Heading: and next to the up/down arrows.

TIP: Hit the F1 keyboard button to open the Query Help page https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... indow.html, which leads to Help for each tab: General, Columns, Rows, Result Set and they explain all the controls including what "Deletes the currently selected row(s) in the Columns List."
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Thanks again. Yes I had found that help, but apparently did not absorb it all.
That Delete "X' is subtle .
There is a lot to learn, . . . . and perhaps I should have taken up trying to "finish" my dad's genealogy project when I was a little younger and sharper :D
Trent