* Cleaning up Events and Attributes After Import Question

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tparkhill
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Cleaning up Events and Attributes After Import Question

Post by tparkhill »

I have imported Gedcoms from multiple sources. And with them came a few things I need/want to clean up. For example:

1) there are dozens of custom events created that were used for only one record. I would have put this information in "Notes" rather than creating so many 1 use Events. I have done a custom query, which I can use to remove the information (or cut and paste to Notes). But I can't see, how do I completely delete the custom event types so they don't show in a very long Events list?

2) I have the same question for Attributes. In some cases, they created an Attribute and used it for many records - that is useful. But again, I have dozens of Attributes that were only used once. If the information seems useful, I was thinking I do a Custom Query, and then just cut and paste the one-time info to "Notes". But again, how do I get rid of the dozens of "junk" Attributes. so they don't show at all in Attribute list?

3) this is related. I have been moving my father's Roots database for 20 years from program to program as each went out of business, and now I am trying to clean up in FH7. I have 3 heavily used Event types that i believe are from the Roots days . . . R1, R2, and R3 . . which I think are all "Resided In" information. Is there a way for me to change them all so instead of saying R1 in Boston, Massachusetts, they can say Resided in Boston Massachusetts?
I guess I could cut and paste each one over, but there are definitely hundreds of them.
Thanks.
Trent
BillH
Megastar

Re: Cleaning up Events and Attributes After Import Question

Post by BillH »

I think I can help with these.

1 & 2) Go to Tools > Fact Types and highlight the one you want to delete and then click on Delete on the right.

3) If you wish to convert all R1, R2, and R3 events to Residence, then I believe you can use the Change Any Fact Tag plugin to do that. Make sure you verify the results are what you want after running the plugin and before saving or exiting FH. If the results are not what you expected you can use Edit > Undo Plugin Changes (or something like that... I'm not sure of the exact wording) to undo the changes.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Regarding 1) & 2) it is possible that there may be no Tools > Fact Types... entry for some of those custom facts, or if you tick Show Hidden they are listed as <undefined> and therefore cannot be deleted.

Once those custom facts have had their details moved and the fact deleted then they will disappear from fact lists.

3) Yes, the Change Any Fact Tag plugin from the Plugin Store will solve the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Thanks so much. And your suspicion was correct, my Events and Attributes lists, when I go to do a query, are filled with dozens of junk 1-use events and attributes.
I can see in Query how to clean them out (I double click on event and delete from Property Box).
But when I go to Tools Fact Types, even with "Show Hidden" checked, I don't see them.
Does this mean they are buried in the Gedcom forever? and there is no way to keep them from showing in the Fields list under Queries?
And Regarding the "Change Any Fact Tag" Plug In . . . when I select "Run" it says "Running", but the computer shows 0% of CPU being used by FH7 or the PlugIn, and if I click anywhere, it "dings", which suggests a dialog box is waiting for input. But I can't see any dialog box?
By the way, as a test . . .
1) I tried the "Change Specific Fact Tag" Plugin to make sure Plugins were working, and a dialog box pops up.
2) I deleted the plugin, re-downloaded it, and tried running again, go same behavior.

Is there a trick to running this? or is it really doing work in background (despite 0% CPU0 and I just need to wait 30 min?
thanks
Trent
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

wait, on the last item, I just thought of another test. In Windows, instead of "End Task", I selected "Maximize", and the dialog popped up. Apparently it came up behind something else. I had suspected this, but the system was not allowing me to minimize other windows to check.

But I do have what is probably a stupid question. . . So I apparently moved say 30,000 custom R1, R2, etc. residence locations to the standard "Residence" event. At least I think I did. But then I did the rational thing and tried to search for the Residences to see they moved over . . . I added every event that says anything like "Resides", "Residing", "Resident", "Lived" , Lived at", Living", "Living Around", etc. into the query. But I do NOT see ANY Residence information when I run.
I tried Save and rerun query. Still can't find Residence info. By the way, in the Query, I used the events under "Individual", vs. "File Root". Not sure what difference is.
It may be I am just missing the actual standard events, buried in the mix of a hundred custom events.
I guess I need to restore my backup (did one before the plugin, until I know where the data is going.

I guess I just have the remaining question about deleting facts and attributes.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

To find all the standard Residence facts I recommend using the custom query All Facts Filter by Label which can be downloaded from the KB. When prompted for the fact label, enter Residence.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To try and answer some of the queries....

If you have deleted the unwanted imported facts, i.e. "(I double click on event and delete from Property Box)."
they won't appear anywhere in the Tools > Fact Types... list even if you tick Show Hidden, because they no longer exist anywhere and are not in the GEDCOM file.

Which Query are you running? It helps us help you if you as explicit as possible.
If you use the standard All Events query, then it won't list Residence which is an Attribute.
Try the standard All Facts query to list every type of fact or the Filter by Label query suggested by Lorna.

Maybe you have written your own Query and it is not working quite as you expected.

BTW: It would help to know which product you imported from and whether it was a direct import or a GEDCOM import.
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Thanks
I had created my own queries, adding every event in a Column that had a title related to Reside . . . .
But now, I just tried the All Events Query you suggested, and I still do not see the many records mentioned after I ran the change facts plugin. This query did make it easy to see I have almost no results with any Event beginning with R. And so it looks like its not a problem with my query.

I had NOT yet double clicked to delete any of these facts.
I closed, reopen and checked FH, data still does not show in Events.
So I Restored the Backup done before the plugin and I can see the old records in Roots (R3 Lived, R3 Lived 2nd, etc.) are back.

I can't figure out how to paste an image to this post . . . . but in the All Events Query, the old roots data looks like:

Event Type: R3 Lived 2nd
Individual: Thomas Reynolds
Place: Newport, Newport, RI
Event: R3 Lived 2nd in Newport, Newport, RI

In the "Change Any Fact Type" plugin, I selected
Source Tag Set: <Custom Events>,
Source Tag Name: R3 Lived 2nd
Target tag Name: Residence
left Records to All
Then I selected the Button labeled: "R3 Lived 2nd to Residence"
a pop-up appeared, and I selected: "Change all the rest"

Did I perhaps incorrectly use the Plug-in?
thanks
Trent
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

To add an attachment, when you are replying to the post there is a "tab" below the box in which you type your reply called "Attachments". Click on that and then "Add Files" and then select the file to attach. You can place it inline using the appropriate button if you wish.

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (57.74 KiB) Viewed 1997 times

See Forum Usage Tips.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Trent, but you are not following our instructions carefully enough.

Do NOT use the All Events query because Residence is an Attribute fact (not an Event) so won't be listed.
Also, none of the other Attribute facts will be listed.

Try the standard All Facts query to list every type of fact or the All Facts Filter by Label query suggested by Lorna, so that both Events and Attributes are included.

I suspect in your custom Query you have only been adding Events and not Attributes.

Also do not go off-piste doing things like restore from backup until we suggest that as a solution, because you will now have to run the Change Any Fact Tag plugin for all those facts.
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Thanks to you both!!
. . knowing how to post screen shots will help.
And that is very helpful to know where "Residence" is supposed to be.
Since I have a file that I have had to transfer through several programs over the past 20 years and it has imports from different people, I have many Event Fields for Residence and many Attribute fields for Residence, probably about a dozen fields.
Thus part of my confusion, and desperate need to consolidate and remove the confusing fields once they are not needed.
Something about your answer helped me also figure out how to fully use the Fact Types box to delete fields. I have now found many of the fields I need to delete once the data is moved.
I have a history with software and some with databases going back to the 80s, so I do have some background. But FH is one of those great programs that has been around long enough to both have a LOT of power built in, and as a result of of all that power, a little complexity.
I just found the good explanation of Events vs Attributes in the FUG. It helps.

I don't feel bad about undoing the moves. Now that I "fully" understand, I need to step through the moves again carefully.
Thanks again for your help and patience with a beginner.
I am perhaps indicative of a small but growing new group with genealogy programs; someone who inherited another person's work and now is trying to clean up, check, and keep the database alive. There will likely (hopefully) be more like me in the next decade with these slightly different challenges.
Trent
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Sorry, one additional question . . .
I also have many fields in Events and Attributes for birth, etc. Makes it difficult for me to tell where any of the standard FH fields are being stored. Could you perhaps point me to a list that shows which things are events and which are attributes.
thanks!
Trent
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

tparkhill wrote: 06 Aug 2022 14:55 Sorry, one additional question . . .
I also have many fields in Events and Attributes for birth, etc. Makes it difficult for me to tell where any of the standard FH fields are being stored. Could you perhaps point me to a list that shows which things are events and which are attributes.
thanks!
Trent
Use Tools > Fact Types... from the menu bar. It will tell you which are which.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, Tools > Fact Types... provides much useful information once you know how to decode it.

The Type column differentiates Events and Attributes. Those are the only two types of facts.

The Fact Set column differentiates between Standard facts and custom facts (which are all the others).

If you tick Show Hidden even more details are revealed. Most significant is the Visible column that categorises a fact as <undefined>, <hidden>, <eclipsed> or ✔ ticked, which identifies the active fact definitions.

BTW: The standard Residence fact is an Attribute, so if you have any Residence facts that are Events they are non-standard custom facts that need to be changed to standard Residence Attributes.
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Excellent, again very helpful, and thank you.

Of course, one of my challenges is going in to create a Query and seeing many similar fields created by people. See attached sample.

1) Any tips about how I could spot the FH Attributes and Events, when in the Query window?
I have noticed that often, it appears, that the FH facts have the description field filled in.
It would be handy if there was a Filter to only show standard FH facts :) , but I know that is asking too much. I just have to get to the point where I can clean out the old stuff (i.e. transfer to better locations).

2) In my Events and Attributes I also have a couple of dozen Birth and Death fields. (many labeled "Alt Birth", etc.) (see sample in image below). I had assumed that:
a) when one adds more than say 1 birth date for a person (because there is uncertainty, and conflicting records), that both sets of Birth information would be input as the same type of "BIRTH" fact. ? . . .
b) and that therefore, every other birth and death fact I see is a relict of transferring information from other Gedcom sources, that had other fields?
c) or these many "Alt fields I see, are something FH uses?
d) and, as a side note, if FH uses multiple instances of Birth, then it would mean, I think, one would need to use a Fact-based rather than Individual-based search?
Aug 5 attachemnet for FUG question.JPG
Aug 5 attachemnet for FUG question.JPG (71.1 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Aug 5 attachemnet for FUG question.JPG
Aug 5 attachemnet for FUG question.JPG (71.1 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Attachments
Aug 5 attachemnet for FUG question 2.JPG
Aug 5 attachemnet for FUG question 2.JPG (65.92 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you certainly have a great many inherited custom facts that need reviewing.
Virtually all the facts shown in your screenshots are inherited relic non-standard custom facts.

1) In the Query window Columns tab, click the black triangle in bottom left corner and tick Show Both in Box.
That will show both the Description and the Data Reference.
Standard FH/GEDCOM facts will have a Description text and a Data Reference such as %INDI.BIRT[1]%
i.e. INDI followed by a three/four-character tag such as BIRT, BAPM, DEAT, BURI, CENS, etc.
Non-standard custom facts will have no Description and the Data Reference will start %INDI._ATTR- or %INDI.EVEN-

2) All those Alt facts are custom facts inherited from the past and nothing to do with FH.
a) Yes, you can have multiple instances of the standard Birth Event: %INDI.BIRT[1]%, %INDI.BIRT[2]%, %INDI.BIRT[3]%, ...
b) Yes, all those other facts are relics from the past.
c) No, they are nothing to do with FH.
d) Yes, you are absolutely correct. Use the All Facts standard Query, and click the Fact Type column header to sort them alphabetically.

If you use Tools > Fact Types... there is probably a Fact Set called TMG Import that holds all those imported relics.
Only the Fact Set called Standard holds the standard FH/GEDCOM facts (events & attributes).

You have a LOT of cleaning up to do! :o
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

Thanks. Just what I needed to know.
Only Fact Sets are "Custom", "Standard", and "extended Set" . . so does not look like they are designated. Will have to suffer with the confusion until I can dedicate the time to the clean up.
Personally, as someone who has designed databases, I am thinking you don't want to create a field if its going to be a limited or one-time event. But probably most people don't realize they are creating a field when the "Add Custom Event".

That volume of work is why I am asking so many questions. I have to do it right the first time. Because if I mess it up, I will be tempted to just give up.
Thanks!
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

I am not sure how much this a question or if I am just sharing some humor.

I have at least 45 immigration fields, but know they are more not titled obviously.

I found a record, where each time they moved around the US to a new state, someone entered an immigration event. In the US, we would just call that moving.
But maybe there is a legitimate genealogy question, for someone with a "British perspective" . . . I have a person in the 1600s where someone input an immigration event when they moved to London, before moving (emigrating/immigrating) to the colonies. I know in the past, families tended to stay in the same town for generations, if not hundreds of years. Does one logging English genealogy keep track of moves within England? and as emigration/immigration?
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

For moves within the country technically, the correct term should probably be migration rather emigration/immigration, so "s/he migrated from x to y"; but in the reality most people would simply say/write "s/he moved from x to y"

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Earlier I said it would help to know which product you imported from and whether it was a direct import or a GEDCOM import.
Unfortunately, you did not answer and that is compromising our advice.
I assumed you had performed a direct import from TMG, but it now seems I was wrong and you imported a GEDCOM file.
Anyway, that explains the Fact Sets you listed:
Standard is the standard set of FH/GEDCOM facts predefined by FH.
Extended Set is a set of custom facts predefined by FH and popularly used in Ancestry, FTM, etc.
Custom contains new custom facts created by you after installing FH.

Regarding emigration/migration within one country, that is simply a change of residential address, which would usually be recorded in a Residence Attribute fact, and it is typical to have several such facts for one person. If various sources over a period of time all indicate the same address then the Residence fact would have a period date covering those sources' time period. The one typical exception is census records that indicate an address and those are usually captured in Census Event facts rather than Residence facts.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 06 Aug 2022 23:15 Regarding emigration/migration within one country, that is simply a change of residential address, which would usually be recorded in a Residence Attribute fact,
Well I usually interpret a change of residential address as a change of permanent address - which may or may not involve migration.

Migration within a country may involve temporary addresses - possibly for a few weeks, possibly for some months.

So a change of permanent address and a change of region or country could have different significances. Working in diagrams I would probably not have all residences showing (I use a flag to switch them on or off), but I would want to show major changes of location (either abroad or to a different region) as that would possibly indicate a major life event and would impact research such as looking for census records. I might have documentary evidence of such migration (for instance, letters or newspaper reports), but I would not necessarily have evidence of residences to highlight such changes.

The "migration" may initially be undated or (btw 7 Apr 1861 and 5 Apr 1891) and I could be aiming to narrow down exactly when it happened.

Why did great grandparents migrate from Cornwall to Peterborough, or another couple from Cumberland to Yorkshire, or another from Glasgow to Belfast? In my case, these were associated with a change in occupation - all of more significance that moving from one rented house to another.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The choice of how to record history sometimes comes down to choosing between standard facts and custom facts.
So to record where people resided may be a choice between the standard Residence fact and alternative custom facts.
However, a feature of FH/GEDCOM is the fact Descriptor/TYPE subsidiary field available on the All tab.
That could be used to differentiate between permanent and temporary residences.

The concept is discussed in the context of the Marriage Event in the FHUG Knowledge Base Recording a Civil Partnership under Fact Type Descriptor. Unfortunately, FH does not offer much support for the feature.
See Wish List request Ref 559 Fact Descriptor for Civil Union, two Place Travel, Preferred Occupation, etc. that can be voted for.
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

All very helpful thoughts and advice.
Thanks
I apologize for not answering on import. The story is actually not simple. I had a base Roots file, moved through 2 pieces of software that went out of business to TMG. I did the TMG move to FH over a year ago, and followed whatever was the advice at the time. But things have evolved with this import, so I can't swear to the conversion method. But I have also exported some other people's Gedcoms that I imported. Some of the extra fields were from my father's (originally Roots) file, and the way he was using it. But most, I think, come from the other people.
I have been cleaning up immigration the last few days. But lost a day when FH crashed, and I did not realize it reopened a different version of the database, older. So I have to repeat work. I would love to be able to move older versions of the Project off the Project Window to reduce the risk of this happening again. I have reset the Default project, so perhaps safe for now . . . I must have forgotten to reset it after last change.
In the last few days I have been getting a couple of FH crashes a day. I don't know why, but assume something about running query to find dups, clicking on the record to get Property Window to make changes, which is what I have been doing, over and over.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To tidy up an old Project I suggest you open the Project, perform a File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup and then in the Project Window use More Tasks... to Delete Project...
Later on, you can delete the backup file when happy it is no longer needed.
tparkhill
Diamond

Post by tparkhill »

I am succeeding at clearing out data in the many Attributes I Have (Events will be next).
And after, I can usually go into Fact Types and delete them. That said, some will not delete:

“One or more selected items were marked as “undefined” . . . .One or more placeholders has instances and consequently could not be deleted.
I am pretty sure I cleared them out. So I go back into a Query and try to select them for a Column, so I can check and clear out. But they will not select. I click the item, click the arrow and nothing happens.

Any thoughts? (It seems it says there is stuff in some of them and they shown in Attribute list, but I can't select ib Query or Delete)
Are these stuck in there forever now?