* Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) Fact Item

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
HanniganResearch
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) Fact Item

Post by HanniganResearch »

Recently I was working with an Adoption case and used the Adoption fact to include in the file. What impressed me was the linking to the adopted parents and that got me to thinking (then calling the fire department before I burned down the house :lol: :lol: ). Anyway, I have failed at comedy!

I would like to create (well have help creating or duplicate something someone has already done) a new FACT TYPE called "Most Recent Common Ancestor" that would link the DNA Match individual to the MRCA couple. I attempted to COPY thinking it would duplicate and it just moved to a new FACT SET -- hence my problem.

Based on reviewing the searched items I think a number of people would benefit by isolating the FACT TYPE. I would prefer it to be included in a search query to list all people connected to the MRCA couple and generate a report of that data (to include path between the people) to simplify linking people together.

I know that I am thinking outside the box here and there will be some push back from people who prefer not to isolate DNA connections, but the field is emerging as a 'research tool' to be used to provide the connection.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

John
RS3100
Superstar

Re: Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) Fact Item

Post by RS3100 »

Have a look at Jane's Gedmatch custom fact: details and an explanation in an article linked from the knowledge base - DNA>Recording DNA Matches>Useful External Links>Recording DNA Matches in Family Historian.

The matched individuals and MRCA(s) are recorded in the fact note and easily retrievable via the associated query.

I have also created a named list for MRCAs which displays a DNA icon in charts and diagrams, different to the icons I use for autosomal and Y-DNA matches, so that I can instantly see which are which.
jimlad68
Megastar

Re: Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) Fact Item

Post by jimlad68 »

There have been a few posts on the complicated issue of DNA recording over the years, which I think overlaps with MRCA , this might give some ideas.
How to document DNA connections with FHv7 (20372)
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68