* Unwanted topics and German Alphabet

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RodgyDodgy
Family Historian: V7

Unwanted topics and German Alphabet

Post by RodgyDodgy »

I recently purchased FH 7.

I share research with a cousin who kindly sent me several Gedcom files. I need to look at each one but only needed one of the. They are listed in 'Recently Viewd Files' Can the unwanted one be removed. Leaving them there makes for confusion.

Also when entering German words in the Property Box with an Umlaut eg Ü However it shows Y (with an Umlaut) in the Focus Window. I cannot illustrate a Y with an Umlaut as it does not normally exist. Any suggestions.

R
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Unwanted topics and German Alphabet

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello, welcome to FHUG. I have moved this topic to the General Usage forum because it is not connected with Maintaining the Knowledge Base.

To clear the recently viewed file list, see this page: Clean Out the Recent File List

I am not sure why you are seeing Ü incorrectly displayed in the Focus window. I have just tried it, and it displays correctly:
Focus window.JPG
Focus window.JPG (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
How did you enter it in the Property box? In FH you can press and hold a letter key and a small menu of options appears, with various accents etc to choose from. That is how I entered it, and it displays correctly.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure where you are seeing a 'Recently Viewed Files' list.
Perhaps you are referring to the File > Gecom File Tasks list?
That is intended for opening stand-alone GEDCOM files.

In FH it is better to create a Project by importing the GEDCOM file because that offers more features.
Use the File > Project Window... command, then New Project... and Import a GEDCOM File.
The main one you want can be made the default that automatically opens whenever you run FH.
If any details are not clear then please ask.

I cannot repeat your problem with Ü so it would help us if you can attach a screenshot of Ü in the Property Box alongside Ÿ in the Focus Window.
To attach a screenshot see the FDHUG Knowledge Base Forum Usage Tips under Attachments and Taking Screenshots.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

We don't want to confuse a new user, but the OP said that he had been sent several GEDCOM files by a cousin.

In my opinion, it is far easier to inspect the file contents by simply importing a GEDCOM file, rather than creating multiple projects and then deleting most of them. Once you have decided which file to keep, create a project from that file to exploit all the available features in FH, but creating a project to simply inspect a GEDCOM is overkill.

Although the recent file list sits under the GEDCOM menu, it lists both standalone GEDCOM files and FH projects, so can be confusing to new users. Unlike RM, FH does not update the recent file list when unwanted files are deleted, so the options in the link Laura gave enable you to delete it altogether, and it is recreated on the fly as new files are opened.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The OP said he had already looked at them all and decided which one to keep.
So my advice was the same. Make a Project from the one to be kept.
Once the Project has been created and set as default, the 'Recently viewed files' list is not visited again so doesn't need purging.
FreddyB

Post by FreddyB »

Hello,
I am new to this group so I hope I am asking the question in the correct section of the User Group.
Can I use a font which allows for german alphabet eg umlauts?
Many thanks all, Frederica
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Frederica.

Yes, the fonts used in FH support most foreign language characters and accents including the German umlaut.
See the FH Help > Family Historian Help > How to... > Enter Accent Characters https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help ... cters.html

Simply hold down the letter you want to which you want to add an umlaut and a popup box will let you choose it.
e.g. Hold down letter a and you will be offered à â ä æ and you can choose ä

If the accented characters required are not shown then they can be easily added.
This is known as Unicode character support and is not available in all products.