* Strategy For Linking Media to Facts and Places

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mardon
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Strategy For Linking Media to Facts and Places

Post by Mardon »

Converting from RM8 to FH7 and want to adopt a 'best practices' approach as I go about cleaning up the transferred data. Hence this question.

Assume I have a fact such as a Residence, and also a photo of that house in the media files. I have been linking that photo to both the Residence fact and also to the Place record (which contains 6 Parts with street address level precision). Linking to the Fact allows quick access to the photo by clicking on the media icon under "More" in the Facts tab of the Focused Individual. Linking to the Place record, allows me to see the photo in the View/Edit Place Details dialogue of the Place List window. It seems a bit odd to me to have to create the link twice. I would have thought that if a Place had a link to a media file that the media file would get automatically linked to any Fact that uses that place. But that doesn't happen.

Is continuing to create links to both a Place and a Fact for each media item a good strategy? TIA
Last edited by Mardon on 21 Jun 2022 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Strategy For Linking Media to Facts and Places

Post by tatewise »

The answer to whether it is a good strategy is to review how they are handled by Reports, which is where the Media are likely to be needed. This is good advice for any strategy. How do FH Reports (and Diagram) display that data?

The Report Options for most Reports have a Pictures tab where you can choose to include images for Facts &/or Places.
If you attach the same image to both then they will appear twice if you enable both options.
Conversely, if you disable one option and then any images that are only linked to one or the other will get omitted.

Furthermore, if the same Place is associated with several Facts would you link the Media to every such Fact?

I don't think it is a good idea to automatically link Place media to every associated Fact. FH rarely performs that type of action.

So that leads to two possible enhancements to FH.
1) Improve the Facts tab Show Media button to include Media attached to the Place record.
2) Improve Reports so that duplicate images are not displayed. It already does that independently for Fact media and Place media but not when the same media is linked to both.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mardon
Gold

Post by Mardon »

tatewise wrote: 21 Jun 2022 16:19 <*snip*>
I don't think it is a good idea to automatically link Place media to every associated Fact. FH rarely performs that type of action.

So that leads to two possible enhancements to FH.
1) Improve the Facts tab Show Media button to include Media attached to the Place record.
<*snip*>
Thank you for your input. I'll follow your suggestion and not double link all Place media to every associated Fact.

Your enhancement suggestion to have the Fact Media button show Place record media seems like an excellent idea to me.

Thanks again. There's so much to learn about FH7 as I'm transitioning from RM8.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are two ways to instigate an enhancement like that:
  1. Report the problem to Calico Pie via their Support Ticket service at http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php if you consider it to be a fault.
  2. Post in the FHUG New Wish List Requests Forum to get it added to the Wish List where users can Vote and Calico Pie may implement.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry