* Create CD / DVD location

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Treesearcher2
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Create CD / DVD location

Post by Treesearcher2 »

The Create CD / DVD files produced are stored within the project. After I have rerun the creation the project backup takes a lot longer (several minutes) to run. If I then copy this backup file to my NAS via Microsoft's SyncToy over WiFi it takes a couple of hours.
Is there any way to generate the CD / DVD files and store them outside the project? Or if I export the files out of the project to another location can I safely delete the contents of the Packages folder before backing up?
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Create CD / DVD location

Post by tatewise »

The CD/DVD files have to be built in the Packages sub-folder but the dialogue lets you Export... and Delete... any package.
Check the Help for further details.

The exported data can be used to burn the CD/DVD via any external folder.
You must use the Export... option anyway to create the necessary CD/DVD file structure.

The snag with Delete... is that you cannot Rebuild... the package again because the Settings.fha file has gone.
However, you can use File Explorer to delete the package data files sub-folder contents.
If you have created a _custom sub-folder within that data files sub-folder then take care not to delete that.

The scenario that you have raised may be worth a report to CP and perhaps suggest a Purge... option that deletes just the auto-built data files as happens at the last step of the Rebuild... process that preserves sub-folders starting with underscore.

WebsiteDVD.png
WebsiteDVD.png (28.35 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Re: Create CD / DVD location

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thanks for replying Tatewise,

I'll give it some it's thought and then ask CP.

Regards