* Duplicated entries in a query

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Little.auk
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Duplicated entries in a query

Post by Little.auk »

I have the individual custom query below, which I am planning to use to create an Index page for the folder where I keep my Marriage Certificate copies, I have similar queries set up for Birth and Death certificates.
-
Query.jpg
Query.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
-
I am using a custom flag as a filter -- "Add if %INDI._FLGS.__MARRIAGE_CERT% is set", and the Custom ID is the sequence in the folder, i.e. William Cooke and Maria Rollin are number 24 in the Marriage Certs Folder.

Below is the output, which all looks good until you come to the entries for John Rollin and Peter John Rollin, which are both duplicated!

I can't find anything different that would cause duplication for these two marriages and not for any of the others. Can anybody advise what might be causing this - and how to fix it?
-
Query Output.jpg
Query Output.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Peter Rollin
Running FH 7.0.22 and AS 7.8.6 64 bit in Windows 11
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Duplicated entries in a query

Post by davidf »

Does adding =RecordId() to the query help?
If adding =RecordId() to the query confirms that these are duplicate family records for the same family you need to merge the families - with the usual care.
If the recordid's are different, you have a bigger mystery?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect you have added the custom Marriage Certificate flag to both the husband and the wife Individual records for both those particular couples. So what you are seeing is the same Marriage details for each spouse.

Your Column Expressions will produce the same Result Set entries regardless of whether the husband or the wife is the Individual record involved. If you add =RecordId() as David suggests then that will confirm my suspicion by showing the Individual Record Id of each spouse (not the Family Record Id).

BTW: Your Query only provides details for the 1st partnership INDI.FAMS[1] link.
How are you dealing with couples whose Marriage is associated with later partnerships INDI.FAMS[2] or INDI.FAMS[3]?

You may find it easier to use a Family type of Query and filter on whether %FAM.MARR.SOUR>REFN% exits.
Then you don't need a custom Marriage Certificate flag.

I suspect the same is true for Birth and Death where existence of %INDI.BIRT.SOUR>REFN% and %INDI.DEAT.SOUR>REFN% are as good as a custom flag.

See FHUG Knowledge Base Understanding Expressions that gives suggestions for detecting Source Citation Fields, etc...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

davidf wrote: 11 May 2022 09:54 Does adding =RecordId() to the query help?
If adding =RecordId() to the query confirms that these are duplicate family records for the same family you need to merge the families - with the usual care.
If the recordid's are different, you have a bigger mystery?
Ah, unlike Mike I had not noticed that this was an individual query and not a family query - I was thinking of adding Recordid() to a Family query!
David
Little.auk
Famous

Post by Little.auk »

You were right Mike, those are the only records where I have set the flag on both husband and wife!

The flag is very specific, it is only set if I have purchased a GRO certificate - I have a number of Marriage Sources that are images from Parish Registers, and others that are only transcripts where I just keep image files, not hard copies.

I had set the flags up before I thought of using the Source Custom ID to provide the indexing link. I am using BIR-NNN for births, MAR-NNN for marriages and DTH-NNN for deaths. So now I can filter on the Custom ID. I am going to use a "begins with "MAR"" filter, just in case I want to add other Custom IDs in future.

As I was working on some birth certificates I created the Birth Certificate query first, and then took the easy path of just editing that for Deaths and Marriages. I will have a look at a FAMILY type of Query and a filter based on Source custom ID.

Thanks for your input.

Another question - As you can see, the GRO reference is currently in the Note field for the Event - is there a better place to put this?
Peter Rollin
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Little.auk wrote: 11 May 2022 12:00 ...
Another question - As you can see, the GRO reference is currently in the Note field for the Event - is there a better place to put this?
As a source lumper, I tend to put the GRO reference in the "Where within source" field for the Birth/Marriage/Death Event Source. (The Source being one of: Birth Certificates (in own possession), GRO Birth Indices (online), FreeBMD Birth Indices, etc.)
David
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Peter,
FWIW, what I do, is to create a generic source for each of these GRO references, then assign the source to the Name, Date and Location facts for the individual, whether it be Birth, Marriage or Death.

My sources look like GRO B 1923 Q1 4a 236
NB I am a splitter, so have hundreds of these sources.

PS I also add a note to each individual, stating GRO states mothers maiden name is SMITH, ( or Mothers maiden name not shown) and also state what Forename/Surname was used in the registration, if entry differs from their actual Forename/Surname
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, since you are clearly a Method 1 'splitter' for BMD Certificates, then the GRO reference goes in the Source record.
Exactly where depends on whether you use Generic or Templated Sources.
For Generic I would use the Publication Info.
For the Essentials ~ Civil Registration Certificate template there is a Reference field.

Bear in mind that the GRO Reference specifically identifies the Certificate so belongs in the Certificate Source record.

FWIW, I start with a Source record for the GRO Index with its reference in the Publication Info: 1860 Q3 Fareham 2b 420 E?.
Then when I obtain the Certificate, that gets added as Media and Text from Source, and the E? becomes the Entry number.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Little.auk
Famous

Post by Little.auk »

I am using Ancestral Sources so I think the Ref ID field is the right place.

The total number of BMD certificates I have created sources for is about 30 so far, so it is not a big job to cut the information from the Fact Note and paste into the source.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Peter Rollin
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Little.auk wrote: 11 May 2022 18:24 I am using Ancestral Sources so I think the Ref ID field is the right place.
Ancestral Sources Method 1 will by default record the contents of the AS 'ref id' in the source 'Publication Information' field, so unless you've changed the settings in Options, you'll probably find the reference id there.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Little.auk
Famous

Post by Little.auk »

Thanks Nick,

What I should have said is that Ref ID field is the right place to enter it in AS. I had a new death certificate to enter yesterday, and the reference ID did appear in the FH Publication Information field.
Peter Rollin
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Little.auk wrote: 12 May 2022 09:06 Thanks Nick,

What I should have said is that Ref ID field is the right place to enter it in AS. I had a new death certificate to enter yesterday, and the reference ID did appear in the FH Publication Information field.
Ah that's good - thanks for clarifying. 👍
Last edited by tatewise on 12 May 2022 10:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added thumbs up imoji
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/