* Merge

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
pete56
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Merge

Post by pete56 »

I have a GED file that I am trying to merge into my main project. Using the latest FH7 update and windows 10 with latest update. Everything goes fine except for media files. I end up with duplicates of my media files. I gave tried doing it many ways such as not merging the files and un-checking. I can use the merged file but have to go and manually delete all the duplicates. Is there something I am doing wrong?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Merge

Post by tatewise »

Pete, when you say duplicate media files, do you really mean external media files in the Project's Media folder, or do you mean Media records shown in the FH Records Window on the Media tab?

If it is Media records that are duplicated then I suspect that in the Merge/Compare dialogue you are not checking every tab.
It is crucial when merging to check not just the Individuals tab, but also the Families, Notes, Sources, ..., Media, etc, tabs.

BTW: It is unusual for two Projects/GEDCOM to have the same media unless they are somehow derivatives of each other.
In which case, it may be better to do some pruning of the GEDCOM to be merged to remove data that is known to already exist in the master Project.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry