* Census UK Tab - my take

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
neil40
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Census UK Tab - my take

Post by neil40 »

Not sure if it belongs here, or where to put it, but it relates to the Census UK Tab.
I have edited it to my own liking, reducing the size of the Census date and Age fields, giving more room to the Place and Address fields
Census UK Tab NG.jpg
Census UK Tab NG.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
...and the settings, same for Census year/Place and Age/Address
Census UK Tab Settings NG.jpg
Census UK Tab Settings NG.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
MarkB
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

Re: Census UK Tab - my take

Post by MarkB »

Makes perfect sense. I've adjusted my tab to suit. Thank you for the suggestion.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Looks a lot better match to the data.
Would you be willing to export your version of Census tab?
It would save me and others a lot of editing!
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Here you go.
Neil Grantham
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Neil - Thanks a better take on my version.

One problem though, the 1921 Age field is not wide enough to support ages such as 53 yrs 10 mns. This maybe a font issue but I'm not sure.

I have fixed this already if you are happy for me to post the updated UK CENSUS TAB in this thread or you can make the correction and post it here?
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

David Potter wrote: 06 Apr 2022 16:28 Hi Neil - Thanks a better take on my version.

One problem though, the 1921 Age field is not wide enough to support ages such as 53 yrs 10 mns. This maybe a font issue but I'm not sure.

I have fixed this already if you are happy for me to post the updated UK CENSUS TAB in this thread or you can make the correction and post it here?
Go for it
Neil Grantham
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Here it is...
Attachments
FH Property Box - Census UK tab for Individuals.fhpbt
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

David Potter wrote: 08 Apr 2022 08:31 Here it is...
David, I can't see any difference. I loaded it alongside my existing Tab and the values for 1921 Age are identical

[Edit]Strike that, was looking at the same tab! It's been a long week! I see you increased from 44 to 55
Neil Grantham
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

I read sections of the KB to try and understand the use of the values in the fhpbt file but couldn't understand enough of it to achieve what I had in mind. Using the latest version as an example this code:
Item6=CUSTOM-"Census 1851 Date & Place",Y,"INDI.CENS[year=1851].DATE","Census 1851:",0,0,55,Y,30,F+"INDI.CENS[year=1851].PLAC","Place:",3,4,22,N,70,F
Item7=CUSTOM-"Census 1851 Age & Address",Y,"%INDI.CENS[year=1851].AGE%","Age: ",0,0,55,Y,30,F+"INDI.CENS[year=1851].ADDR","Address:",3,4,22,N,70,F
Item8=CUSTOM-"Census 1851 Occupation",Y,"INDI.OCCU[year=1851]","Occupation:",0,0,50,N,50,F
produces this result.
Census.JPG
Census.JPG (38.97 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
What I thought I would like to try is.
1. Do away with the Census date box as the Year is in the title
2. Move the Age box left towards Age: so it can be large enough for Yrs and Mths without stealing too much from the Address box.
Is this possible and if it is what has to change?
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

You might find it easier to work with the customisation inside FH, and once successful you can do some copying and pasting in the file directly to change other lines. Do you know how to do this? A quick guide: Click on the tab you wish you edit, Click the Cog in the top right ribbon, choose Customise Property Box and you'll get a dialogue box - choose the right tab from the "Tab" drop-down if it's not already selected. On the the hand side of the pane, choose one of the lines (for example, "Census 1851" and click the View/Edit button near the bottom. You can now play around with whatever settings you want and see the effects on the tab by saving and inspecting the Custom Tab. You can export the file (under "More Tab Tasks" in the dialogue window) and compare the changes to see which variables have changed. Make similar changes to other lines once you are happy with the look you want. Any questions please ask and I can post some screenshots to help.

I see you have "1851" as the date for the census - therefore, I assume that you have entered this as the date of the census itself, whereas it would be more usual to enter the actual date - i.e., 30 Mar 1851. If this doesn't matter to you then fair enough, although it will help with sorting dates in the Property Box. In terms of the tab itself, I don't display the date either.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Peter,
Adrian's suggestion to tailor your Census tab is easier via the cogwheel and the Customize Property Box, there are a few gotcha that you may wish to consider, concerning aligment groups.

In my own census tab, my first two items are Born and Died, and display where and when a person was born and died, as follows

Item1=CUSTOM-"Born",Y,"INDI.BIRT.DATE","Born:",0,0,30,N,30,F+"%INDI.BIRT[1].PLAC:FULL%","in",1,2,70,N,70,F
Item2=CUSTOM-"Died",Y,"%INDI.DEAT[1].DATE:YEAR%","Died:",0,0,30,N,30,F+"%INDI.DEAT[1].PLAC:FULL%","in",1,2,70,N,70,F
Thes use alignment groups 1& 2 (italicised and bold) and both are set to 30-70 percent (bold).
Resulting in the following display in the Census tab:
Born & Died.jpg
Born & Died.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
The first three census items look like this:

Item4=CUSTOM-"1841",Y,"INDI.CENS[year=1841].PLAC","7 Jun 1841",0,3,20,N,60,F+"INDI.CENS[year=1841].ADDR","at",4,5,20,N,40,F
Item5=CUSTOM-"1851",Y,"INDI.CENS[year=1851].PLAC","30 Mar 1851",0,3,30,N,30,F+"INDI.CENS[year=1851].ADDR","at",4,5,70,N,70,F
Item6=CUSTOM-"1861",Y,"INDI.CENS[year=1861].PLAC","7 Apr 1861",0,3,30,N,50,F+"INDI.CENS[year=1861].ADDR","at",4,5,70,N,50,F

The resulting display is
Census.jpg
Census.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Note that although these census items all use the same alignment groups 4 & 5, (italicised and bold) they all use a different Percent figure (60-40, 30-70 & 50-50, shown bold), yet they all display in perfect alignment.
This means that changing the percent of any single line, may not be reflected in the resulting display.

I think, (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the setting for the alignment group is taken from the first entry it is used, which in above example is the 1841 entry, so if my settings for a specific alignment need adjusting, I adjust the 1841 entry!
In my case, when I changed the percent figures for 1851 & 1861, it didn't have any affect.
If I want to change the aligment of all the census entries, I have to change 1841 entry, i.e. the first one that uses alignment groups 4&5.

Sadly no mention of this in FH Help file, it somewhat glosses over use of alignment groups.

I hope this makes sense to you
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Mike, it is possible, to an extent. Did you see this in the Help about Alignment Groups?
Alignment Groups
There are 3 fields that relate to alignment groups. These are Alignment Group 1 (in part 1) and Alignment Groups 2 & 3 (in part 2). Each alignment group edit box must have a value in the range 1 to 20. Moreover, the value in the alignment group 3 box must be greater than the value in the alignment group 2 box, and the value in the alignment group 2 box must be greater than the value in the alignment group 1 box.

When the Property Box is resized, Family Historian will adjust the layout. If you have 2 or more custom items, and you want their part 1 edit boxes to be aligned, make sure that they are assigned the same number in their respective alignment group 1 boxes. If you want their part 2 labels to be aligned, make sure that they are assigned the same number in their respective alignment group 2 boxes. And finally, if you want their part 2 edit boxes to be aligned, make sure that they are assigned the same number in their respective alignment group 3 boxes.

Standard items always use values in the range 1-10. So by using values in the range 11-20 you can avoid affecting the layout of existing standard items. However, if you want your custom items to align (or parts of them to align) with standard items, you need to use the same alignment group values that they use. Typically items which only have one part, use a value of '1' for Alignment Group 1. Event items, which have 2 parts, use values of 1, 2 and 3 respectively for alignments groups 1, 2 & 3. The 'Sex & Occupation' item uses 1, 4 and 5 (which is why the Occupation label and its edit box do not align with the 'in' part of Event items).
So I managed to get this sort of display using different numbered alignment groups (not that you would ever want it!)
Screenshot 2022-04-09 154556.jpg
Screenshot 2022-04-09 154556.jpg (24.74 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
That was using percentages of 25/75, 50/50 and 75/25. It's also possible to use the Fixed Size box, and this means you can fix the size of the boxes without worrying about Alignment Groups (caveat - I think this is true, not tried it too much) - but fixed sizes don't scale when you resize the Property Box so may not always be suitable.
Screenshot 2022-04-09 154922.jpg
Screenshot 2022-04-09 154922.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
Hope this helps, I can post more screenshots if it helps.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Adrian,
it doesn’t really help, as you are not showing that the 1851 and 1861 items are using different alignment groups to each other, and the 1841 item.

The changes in the percent figures you show, are only effective if they use different alignment groups!
Mike Loney

peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I came across the Alignment Groups section in the KB, it totally confused me, it was for that reason I made my post!
I had thought of editing and seeing what happened, often my normal practice, but I thought I really ought to find out what does what. The percentages and the Y/N, I can understand, it is the other numbers that are a bit of a mystery.
I also understand that there is a dynamic part to this, the box size can be changed so values are perhaps 'relative' rather that 'fixed'(unless there is a Y!).
I did wonder if the Census date box was designed for dd/mm/yyyy, but I have never used that format, just yyyy.
Perhaps I should?
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Gowermick wrote: 09 Apr 2022 17:37 Adrian,
it doesn’t really help, as you are not showing that the 1851 and 1861 items are using different alignment groups to each other, and the 1841 item.

The changes in the percent figures you show, are only effective if they use different alignment groups!
Yes that's right, that's what I was trying to show, I'm sorry I wasn't clear about it. My point was you can have different alignments on different lines. Once those Alignment Groups are defined, they take the same values through the rest of the Custom Tab. 11 to 20 are available (1 to 10 control groups on the main tab so are best avoided). So once you've set up your 1841 lines using Alignment Groups, you can continue to use those in 1851, 1861 and so on.
Adrian Cook
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

peterbel wrote: 09 Apr 2022 18:59 I did wonder if the Census date box was designed for dd/mm/yyyy, but I have never used that format, just yyyy.
Perhaps I should?
Do what's best for you, but I would say it is good practice to capture the exact date of something if it is known. When looking at the Property Box or Reports, the Census will then appear where it should chronologically, rather than at the end of the year (which I believe is what happens if only the year is used). If you use Ancestral Sources, it will suggest the exact date for you.
Adrian Cook
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Yes a full Census date would be beneficial. I will investigate how I can amend them, a Plugin perhaps.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Peter,
Autohotkey (AHK) is a boon when it comes to entering commonly used texts like census dates.
I have a script that uses Ctrl codes to enter the full date for each census, so I don’t have to remember them.
E.g. Ctl-4 enters full date of 1841 census, Ctl-5 enters full date of 1851 census etc etc.
It also comes in handy for applying retrospective changes to those facts where I have just used the year like 1841. I just highlight the year, press Ctl-4 and the 1841 is replaced with full date.

Search for Autohotkey in the forum. There have been many posts written about it
Mike Loney

peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike, I have downloaded the 'Additional' version and will have a look at them.
heathermary
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by heathermary »

Sorry to post so long after this thread was started but I am catching up on abandoned research and also reading all the bulletins I haven't read and I saw a reference to the Census UK tab but I can't find it anywhere. Is it avaliable pre v7? I am on v6 and if so, how do I get it please?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Either download one of the examples attached to this thread or see
Census UK
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

One version is in the FHUG Knowledge Base Downloads under Property Box Tabs as Census UK along with others.

Also, some postings in this thread have Attachments with variations on the same theme.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Heathermary,
In answer to your question, judging by previous posts on this thread, it would seem new tabs were available on V5 onwards, and was something I was unaware of until this post started! :D

The newly created Tab can be customised to display most things you want. This post talks about Census Tab showing mainly census data, but I have one to show ToDo's, for creating ToDo items for an individual. The choice is yours, they are pretty flexible
Mike Loney

heathermary
Diamond

Post by heathermary »

Many thanks for the replies, I will see what I can do! Version 5 seems a long time ago and it reassuring for me that I am not the only one to have missed anything to do with tabs!
heathermary
Diamond

Post by heathermary »

Oh wonderful - so easy when pointed in the right direction! Now to see what else I might have missed.

Ah, back again with my next question: I can see the census tab is populated with details I have added via the Facts tab but only for individual census entries and not where I have added them as census (family) which covers a lot of my census entries. Sorry if this has been asked before but how do I get those entries on to the Census UK tab? I hope it is possible.