* Transferring FH7 on EHDD to FH7 on HDD

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Tony_Fowler
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Transferring FH7 on EHDD to FH7 on HDD

Post by Tony_Fowler »

Hello Everyone,
I have FH7 on my new PC. My whole FH7 and data is on the old EHDD which I have installed on a HDD Docking tool.
Can I connect the HDD docking to my new PC and transfer the data direct or do I need to use plugins?
Sorry to ask but was unable to work it out from the excellent knowledge base.
Cheers
Tony F
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Transferring FH7 on EHDD to FH7 on HDD

Post by tatewise »

The answer depends on what 'data' you are talking about. There are two major categories of 'data' to consider.

1) The FH Project data folders that are usually inside the Family Historian Projects folder and is what I guess is on the EHDD.

2) The FH custom settings data for such as Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, Property Box customisations, Records Window custom columns, etc, etc, that are mostly held in the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder but also in other folders and the Windows Registry. My guess is that data is not on your EHDD and is most easily migrated using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin to save the settings to your EHDD on the old PC and then restore it on the new PC.

You should be able to follow the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide entirely. It is just that you can use the EHDD as the medium for copying from PC to PC. Which parts of that guide are not clear?

BTW:
I've moved this to the FH General Usage forum as it is not to do with "Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program."
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I read it as Tony’s old PC hard disk being in the caddy. If that’s the correct interpretation, all the data will be retrievable, but configuration settings from the Registry cannot be simply copied across.

If you do need to copy manually, the key reference will be Understanding the Scope of Features, which goes into detail on what is stored where and is required reading for those who want to understand what the “black box” solutions are doing.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If Mark is correct then the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder and the Windows Registry files are indeed on the EHDD, but I'm not sure how easy it is to extract the Windows Registry data hives.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Tony_Fowler
Gold

Post by Tony_Fowler »

tatewise wrote: 10 Feb 2022 17:56 The answer depends on what 'data' you are talking about. There are two major categories of 'data' to consider.

1) The FH Project data folders that are usually inside the Family Historian Projects folder and is what I guess is on the EHDD.

2) The FH custom settings data for such as Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, Property Box customisations, Records Window custom columns, etc, etc, that are mostly held in the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder but also in other folders and the Windows Registry. My guess is that data is not on your EHDD and is most easily migrated using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin to save the settings to your EHDD on the old PC and then restore it on the new PC.

You should be able to follow the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide entirely. It is just that you can use the EHDD as the medium for copying from PC to PC. Which parts of that guide are not clear?

BTW:
I've moved this to the FH General Usage forum as it is not to do with "Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program."
Mark: Many thanks for the info. I am slow of speech[!!] and will consider your excellent advice when I have printed it for a good read/ Tony
Tony_Fowler
Gold

Post by Tony_Fowler »

tatewise wrote: 10 Feb 2022 21:58 If Mark is correct then the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder and the Windows Registry files are indeed on the EHDD, but I'm not sure how easy it is to extract the Windows Registry data hives.
Many thanks. Tony
Tony_Fowler
Gold

Post by Tony_Fowler »

Thank you both, Tony
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Mark1834 wrote: 10 Feb 2022 21:17 I read it as Tony’s old PC hard disk being in the caddy. If that’s the correct interpretation, all the data will be retrievable, but configuration settings from the Registry cannot be simply copied across.
Depends I suppose on interpretation of EHDD which I would take as External Hard Disk Drive in which case it may just be the projects.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Indeed, but either interpretation is credible, so we are just guessing until Tony digests the inputs and clarifies which scenario is the correct one.
Mark Draper
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

unlikely that custom data is on an external drive as it’s stored in the hidden folder ProgramData which has to be on the boot drive.
[Edit] Actually not ‘strictly’ correct but would take a fair effort to move it, and certainly not to an external drive.
We shall see
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall