* Adding a generic source to FH7

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Adding a generic source to FH7

Post by janefrances »

I've added a citation and source to FH7 and wondered if there was any way to shorten the title shown in the text from source, what I would really like is just the text in the box below and a short description in the section above and not the first line of the text if possible? I'm still finding my way around FH7 before taking the plunge and upgrading from FH6. Many thanks
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (39.47 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adding a generic source to FH7

Post by tatewise »

The line in the upper pane is not a Title but literally a summary drawn from the first line in the Text From Source field.
If there were multiple Text From Source entries in the Source record and the Citaion that upper pane is a kind of index.
The only way to change what appears in the upper pane is to change the first line in the Text From Source.
However, that will alter the Text From Source as displayed everywhere else.
What appears in that upper pane appears nowhere else but is simply a shorthand cross-reference.

BTW: If you only ever have one Text From Source field and it is always in the Source record because you use Method 1 then it can be customised to appear on the main Citation tab and you never need to visit the Text From Source tab.
i.e. Similar to Adding a generic source to FH7 (20206) but for the Citation Window in your screenshot.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thanks Mike, I didn't realise it was seen as a summary. I do only ever use one Text from Source field and it is always in the source record so it would be great :D if I could customise the citation tab, please could you let me know I can do this?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

In your screenshot, there is a cogwheel icon top right. Click that Menu and choose Customize Citation Window....
Top left ensure you choose Main (generic) or Main (template) depending on what type of Sources you use.
Select the Text from Source on left and click > to move to the righthand Selected Items.
Click OK and you're done.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thanks Mike, much appreciated, :) All good.