* Merging 2 files in merge/compare

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Pevans2
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Merging 2 files in merge/compare

Post by Pevans2 »

I hope someone will be able to advise me . I am trying to merge 2 .GED files in FH which have been validated the files have a large number of over lapped records. I have used Merge/compare to remove duplicated born/died facts but cannot find out how I prevent the duplication of spouse/marriage records.
When I have merged I have a large number of duplicated lines on the family tree diagram and also have certain people appearing as their own grandchildren !
I clearly doing something wrong, but if someone can help me out I would be grateful
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Merging 2 files in merge/compare

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

When you do a merge, it's easy to forget to look at ALL the record types. There's a tab for each record type in the Merge window, and you need to check all of them to merge things correctly.

In your case, you haven't checked the Families tab, but I do recommend you check all of them.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The FHUG Knowledge Base advice on Merge/Compare File may help.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Pevans2
Silver

Post by Pevans2 »

Thanks all, I haven't had time to give these a go yet, but hope to next week........Thanks again, Paul
Pevans2
Silver

Post by Pevans2 »

All, I have finally managed to try merging the 2 files I have and checked both the "individual" and "family" tab...... However I am still seeing loops on my chart, though not as many..... Is there any way of running a report on my merged file to see what the issues may be so I can rectify them "long hand" ?
Many thanks in advance

Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think there is any automatic analysis available that would help you.
The coloured ribbons are showing where there are multiple paths between different generations due to inter-marriages of 'cousins' such there are people in different branches with common ancestors.

If you don't think those inter-marriages have ever actually happened then the Merge must be the cause.
Possible the GEDCOM, although perfectly valid family trees in their own right, may have different ancestors for the same people and that may well lead to such inter-marriage branches.

Presumably, you checked each GEDCOM before the Merge to see if they had any coloured ribbons in their Diagrams.

Maybe in the Merge, there are some Individuals or Families that despite having different names are actually the same people but you have therefore overlooked merging them.

Without seeing the Diagram details it is difficult to be more helpful.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry