* Windows 11

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Helena
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Windows 11

Post by Helena »

I have received a notification to upgrade to Windows 11. I use FH v7 does this work fine with W11? I also use Custodian 4 does this work as well?
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11

Post by Jane »

FH7 works fine on Windows 11, I can't answer for Custodian as I have never used it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Remember that it is not a request to upgrade - it is simply Microsoft telling you that your PC is compatible with Windows 11 and giving you the option. Personally, I would hold off for a while while the early bugs are shaken out (particularly given Microsoft's track record of replacing good operating systems with lemons (XP->Vista, 7->8, etc). W10 will be fully supported for another 4 years.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree and would strongly advise against upgrading to Windows 11 until you are sure you want it.
It is reportedly affected by a number of bugs that need fixing.
The user interface for some features is different from Windows 10 and not to everybody's liking.
e.g.
The Start menu has changed again!
File Explorer no longer has a command ribbon and the commands have moved.
Right-click context menus often need a second click to see all the options.
The list goes on...

Windows 10 is supported for at least another 4 years so there is no need to rush to adopt Windows 11.

If you use more than one PC (work, home, family) then keep them all on Windows 10 for compatibility.
BTW: Both Windows 10 and Windows 11 current version numbers are 21H2 just to confuse everyone.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I've upgraded to Windows 11 and there are quite a few things I like about it, but best to look into what the changes are from Windows 10 and decide whether they'll suit you. I haven't encountered any bugs yet, but you can check here if there are known problems that would impact you.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

And yet we are all happily typing into FH7 which is having bug fixes constantly applied. I use FH7 and Windows 11 and have not came across any bugs with Windows 11 (So far) although 2 clicks to get to All Apps is a bit bonkers. I think that we have to accept that all software has bugs in it and if we wait until all bugs are eradicated we will all be back to pen and paper all too soon.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

GeneSniper wrote: 04 Dec 2021 14:01 2 clicks to get to All Apps is a bit bonkers
The Start menu is one thing I don't like about Windows 11, but I use Start11. For £6 per PC, it's a way to turn back time to whichever version of the Start menu you like best, plus get a few additional bells and whistles.

(I have no connection with the company involved!)

I also agree that one can worry too much about bugs -- although in the case of Windows 11, if something shows up after 30 days that is significant enough (for you personally) to want to roll back, it's an awful lot of work.
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I have been using FH on Windows 11 for a little while now and have not experienced any issues. There a few things different but I soon got to grips with them. One thing I don't like is when Explorer is shut down it seems to reset the screen. If there are multiple instances of Explorer open closure of one closes them all (that wasn't the case in Windows 10 and earlier versions).
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, those File Explorer problems sound like issues to me, so contradicts your first statement :D
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Helena
Silver

Post by Helena »

Thanks everyone, I have made backups today of my files and a W10 recovery disk, although when I upgraded from W8 to 10 I had no problems. This may explain why my lap top has been slow the last few weeks (seems quicker today!) especially in Edge!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm not seeing that behaviour with Explorer in Windows 11 -- all the windows are independent. (Unless you've opened them on a 'desktop' and close the desktop, or use the Close All Windows option form the Taskbar.
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

Just tried it again and the behaviour has changed and did as expected, I can't explain what I previously experienced. Maybe it was quirk but I experienced it a few times.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I have been using Windows 11 for while now, the start menu can be put back to left if wanted. Have experienced no issues.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

David2416 wrote: 04 Dec 2021 19:42 the start menu can be put back to left if wanted. Have experienced no issues.
I know that but it still takes 2 clicks to get to All Apps.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

it still takes 2 clicks to get to All Apps.
I've can configure Start11 to open with All Apps visible, Although I prefer not to, as it doesn't suit my way of working.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I know that but it still takes 2 clicks to get to All Apps.
Ah, the impatience of youth :D

I haven't had any need to access 'All Apps' since organising the shortcut options on the 'Task Bar' and the initial 'Start' screen to organise my most frequently used apps and remove any duplication. 'Search' is far quicker for me when locating/launching less frequently used apps/features in any style of Windows Menu.

It's also possible to create a shortcut link on the Task Bar pointing to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" which will launch a 'Start Menu' in File Explorer, which lists locally installed applications, but not, it seems, Windows Store apps.

Mervyn
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

My PC is currently being upgradedto Windows 11. It is very slow after about an hour it states the upgrade is 7%

As anyone had a faster upgrade?

Victor
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mervyn, that's pretty well how I work: I've organised the Taskbar and Start screen to cover 90% of my requirements and Search handles the other 10%.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It is very slow after about an hour it states the upgrade is 7%
Is it actually upgrading or doing the download. From memory, the download took a whole but the upgrade was quite fast.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Sorry correction I should have said download.
Now 8% Guess I better leave things as they are do nothing go for a long walk and hope the figure will be higher but I doubt is as my computer goes to 'sleep' when no activity is taking place. I guess when in sleep mode the downloading stops

Victor
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Victor, if I remember rightly, you can continue to work during the download, should that be your fancy.
Helena
Silver

Post by Helena »

Victor, I started mine this morning, went very slow around 7% then went fast, now on Installing 72%. We put the Christmas decorations up whilst waiting!
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

FWIW I've been using Windows 11 since late July with FH7, Gedsite, and (very occasionally) with RM8. None have given me any problems; my machines seem to run as quickly or slowly as before. There have already been half-a-dozen bug fixes, but AFAIK none affected my operations anyway.

The new menu system is a considerable improvement over Window 10's, and so far I have eschewed Start 11.

Robert
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Just to add to Robert's post, I have been using Win 11 Pro for about a month now with FH, Ancestral Sources and GedSite - no problems encountered.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree