* adding to a LIST

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
KiwiPeterHill
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

adding to a LIST

Post by KiwiPeterHill »

I have need of the List function and have 186 in the list, But I also needed the spouse for each my persons. I added the column to the list and the spouse appears fine.

However when I print my list. the spouse column is not there?
What have I missed

Peter
Jane
Site Admin

Re: adding to a LIST

Post by Jane »

Presumably you are using the standard List Query to print your list, if so you need to create a copy of that query and add any columns you need to the new query.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, it is always helpful if you tell us what techniques and commands you are using, otherwise we have to guess.
So Jane and I are guessing that you are using the Query > Flags and Named Lists > Named List Members query.

There are various alternatives you could use.
  • Make a custom copy of the Named List Members query and add the Columns you need.
    With this technique, you do not even need to add the Columns to the Named List itself.
    #
  • Make a custom copy of the standard All Individuals query or a custom Individual query with the desired Columns.
    Copy the Rows tab filter from the Named List Members query to the Rows tab of the Individual query.
The key point to recognise is that they are all Individual record queries, with whatever Columns you need, and the Rows tab filter for the Named List.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
KiwiPeterHill
Diamond

Post by KiwiPeterHill »

ok, theres my problem. Use a Query
I better work back and learn that bit first.
I know how to add names to a List and add a column in the list.
I have never used the Query function, so I have some reading to do.

I was thinking you just added a column to the list using the expression and wham.

So I have played with Query this morning, and that's so powerful, it does all I want and probably more.
Thanks for the push in the right direction....

greeting from New Zealand.
Peter