* Saving imported source templates

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rcpettit
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Saving imported source templates

Post by rcpettit »

Using FH 7.0.8.2, when you import a rootsmagic database, how do you save the converted templates so you can use them again on a new Project file? I don't know if I'm missing something or not. Right now I'm copying the template by hand and then creating a new custom template using the copy has a guide. The imported templates say they are customs, but don't show up in template dialog.
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Saving imported source templates

Post by Mark1834 »

By design, FH does not permit imported templates to be used in other projects. There is a plugin that provides this ability, but it needs to be modified slightly to make it fully compatible with the final FH7. 0.8 design.

It's on my to-do list, so I'll post the revised version here in the next few days.
Mark Draper
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Not the OP, but, thanks Mark, for working on this...Will watch for the plug-in update :)

Teresa
Mark1834 wrote: 22 Sep 2021 08:56 By design, FH does not permit imported templates to be used in other projects. There is a plugin that provides this ability, but it needs to be modified slightly to make it fully compatible with the final FH7. 0.8 design.

It's on my to-do list, so I'll post the revised version here in the next few days.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

The attached plugin saves all missing Source Template Definitions to file so they can be used in other projects. It works on source templates imported from RM and also those created directly within FH without a definition file.

This is an improved version of the plugin posted last time this was discussed, with a modified menu and much faster execution. Outputs from the two versions are completely compatible with each other.

Note that by design, FH imports only the minimum amount of detail from RM to record the source template data accurately, so descriptive material such as prompts and descriptions is discarded.

If no issues are raised over the next couple of weeks, I will submit this version to the plugin store.
Mark Draper
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Looks good to me - will take some time to test everything. Thanks so much! Saves me a lot of time!

Teresa
Mark1834 wrote: 29 Sep 2021 10:47 The attached plugin saves all missing Source Template Definitions to file so they can be used in other projects. It works on source templates imported from RM and also those created directly within FH without a definition file.

This is an improved version of the plugin posted last time this was discussed, with a modified menu and much faster execution. Outputs from the two versions are completely compatible with each other.

Note that by design, FH imports only the minimum amount of detail from RM to record the source template data accurately, so descriptive material such as prompts and descriptions is discarded.

If no issues are raised over the next couple of weeks, I will submit this version to the plugin store.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

This plugin is now in the Plugin Store.
Mark Draper