* Two Marriages. Same people

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
carswell
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Two Marriages. Same people

Post by carswell »

On my current project I have two instances of two couples marrying each other twice.

The first couple married in Winnipeg in 1897. They married each other again in London in 1921 and there is a note on the marriage certificate referencing the previous ceremony. They didn't divorce in between the marriages and I assume the Canadian marriage would have been recognised in the UK.

The second couple married first in London 1946 when the bride was described as a widow. It seems to have turned out that she wasn't and was already married. The same couple married again in 1957 she, having dissolved her first marriage. I assume the first marriage was declared illegal.

My question is, how do I enter both marriages other than by creating two separate marriage entries and ending up with the individuals appearing twice on a chart?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Two Marriages. Same people

Post by tatewise »

I think you are confusing Marriage events with Family records.

When you say creating two separate marriage entries, as long as they are Marriage events in the same Family record then the Individuals will only appear once.

The Individuals will only appear twice if you create a separate Family record (i.e. multiple Spouse tab entries).

It is perfectly feasible to have multiple Marriage events in one Family record just as you can have multiple instances of any fact.
You may need to edit the Diagram Text Scheme to get all Marriage events to appear.
i.e. Replace %CUR~FAMS>MARR% with %CUR~FAMS>MARR[1+]% that has the looping index to include multiple facts.

The first couple probably just had a marriage vows confirmation ceremony in London, possibly for UK relatives.

Yes, in the second case the first Marriage was null & void.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
carswell
Gold

Re: Two Marriages. Same people

Post by carswell »

Thanks Mike. The second couple had a full blown second marriage judging by the marriage certificate and GRO registration.