* Color coding chart

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
TMG_refugee
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Color coding chart

Post by TMG_refugee »

I have created several facts that I use as flags. (only way to save on import) when I create a chart I customize the chart based on the existence of a particular fact/flag. On one I created a medical history fact and in the chart I can map a particular medical condition based on what is contained in the note field. All this works very well.

I am now constructing a single family story where I use the all relatives chart to show everyone that was involved in this particular story. Out of all the people in this chart I want to highlight certain VIPs and I was contemplating the same scheme but I ran into an issue with so many fact/flags. In this case I do not want all the other flags to work on the chart but only the VIP fact/flag.

Can I select which flags to apply to a certain chart? I know I can create a chart, modify the options and then save the chart. I was hoping there might be a checkbox or something where I can say use this condition for this chart and then uncheck a box for other charts.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Color coding chart

Post by LornaCraig »

I know I can create a chart, modify the options and then save the chart
That's one way of doing it. Another way, which might be more generally useful, is to modify the options and then Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type. The new diagram type will then be availale from Charts>Custom Diagrams. You will then be able to use that type for any family group where you want only the VIP flag to work.

It's advisable to save every distinct set of customisations as a separate diagram type to avoid the danger of accidentally losing the settings when you are trying out new schemes.
Lorna
TMG_refugee
Famous

Post by TMG_refugee »

Lorna - Thank you for that suggestion.

It seems to work easier than my method.
Although once I create a chart I can't change the type after that?

I have perhaps too many of these conditions so I will need to create many custom diagrams to accommodate my variations.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

once I create a chart I can't change the type after that?
That's right, you can't switch it quickly to another existing type. Although you can of course open the chart and use Diagram Options to modify the settings and then save it as a new chart and/or diagram type.
Lorna