* Automatic Source Citations for Names not working in V7?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Automatic Source Citations for Names not working in V7?

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 16 Jul 2021 07:24

Is it me? Or is Automatic Source Citation not working for Names in V7. If sombody can confirm that it's a general problem, I'll raise a ticket for CP.

E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Automatic Source Citations for Names not working in V7?

Post by E Wilcock » 16 Jul 2021 08:30

I just tried it. I use German and UK censuses for 1939 a great deal. So I use auto add source a lot.
Automatic didnt work for Name. but I then added a place of birth and it added the source for that and fh then added the same source to the name as well.
Same happens as soon as I select a gender. The gender gets an automaticly added source and then the name does too.

If the source is a census may be one needs a census fact to back it up? But I need to go out now.

RS3100
Famous

Post by RS3100 » 16 Jul 2021 08:38

I'm not seeing that at all. I've added several new individuals in the last couple of days using ASC and the source was added to the name as soon as I tabbed out of the name box. I've just tried it again with the sample project, creating a new individual with ASC enabled and the chosen source was attached to the name as soon as I had entered it and tabbed out of the name field. I tried it by clicking on a different field with the mouse rather than tabbing out, and it still works fine for me.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 16 Jul 2021 08:56

It seems to work for the Primary Name but not Alternate Names?

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 16 Jul 2021 09:06

Adding a Name to an existing Individual record that had no name before, did add an Automatic Source Citation for me OK.
But it does not get added until you have tabbed out or used F5 or entered another field.

Evelyn, it is not possible to add a Source Citation for the Sex field. It is not allowed in FH or GEDCOM.

What ASC does NOT do is add a Source Citation when a Rich Text Note is added.

If an unformatted local Note is added to the Individual record, then it does get an ASC.
If an unformatted local Note is added to a Fact, then the associated Fact gets an ASC instead of the Note itself.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 16 Jul 2021 09:13

Adding a Name to an existing Individual record that had no name before, did add an Automatic Source Citation for me OK.
But it does not get added until you have tabbed out or used F5 or entered another field.
Agreed. Now try adding an alternate name to an individual.

If we can collate a list of ASC problems, I'll raise a single ticket with CP.

RS3100
Famous

Post by RS3100 » 16 Jul 2021 09:49

I can confirm the problem with alternate names. Whilst ASC does not add a source citation to the sex of an individual, it does add the source to the whole record if enabled when the individuals' sex is selected.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 16 Jul 2021 11:19

Agreed, ASC fails if an Alternate Name is added via the Names & Titles dialogue.
If the Main tab has a custom INDI.NAME[2] field then ASC works for an Alternate Name added there.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock » 16 Jul 2021 12:48

I can only say what happens to me.
I set the automatic source citation for the Online German Census of 1939. And make that automatic source active.
Then I click Add unrelated person.

I write in the person's name. The primary name. No source shows.
I have two name fields shown on my property box
So I write in an alternate name in the lower box and move on. Again no source shows on the screen.
But if I return to one of those name fields and click on it, then the source shows, for both names.

I think this is standard fh behaviour isnt it? Sources do not show till one has left the fact field?

The end result is no different for me in fh 7 than it always was. But manually adding sources in fh7 is cluttered up by one needing to shut down the source pan, as Mike rightly explained to me when fh7 launched.