* Keeping the log file open while working

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
elricks
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Keeping the log file open while working

Post by elricks »

References to Wish List in search results, put me into a 404 error, so I am posting this here in the hope a moderator will magic it over to where it should be.

After an import from TMG, I am urged to check out the log file. A very good suggestion.

However, having the log file open removes my ability to navigate within FH. As the whole point of a log file is to show where in the database there may be errors, the ability to access the actual data at the same time as viewing the log file is mandatory. At least in the way I work. I can see very dense information, full fo codes, to make sense of which I need access to my database where 'X' has been used.

So - this request is to allow editing of FH at the same time as viewing the log file.

If this is not possible, then the next best thing would be to facilitate the export of the log file (to a spreadsheet I guess).

My work around is to copy/paste the full log into a spreadsheet, which I know covers off my need completely. I make this request in the expectation that the developers of FH are keen to make it as easy to use as possible, and want their application to cover user needs from within.

Thanks - Shirley
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Keeping the log file open while working

Post by Jane »

I am obviously missing something. You can open the log file from "Window>Log Files" on my PC this opens in my Text editor and I can then close the log file selection window and work on FH with the log open.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the FH General Usage forum because, like Jane, I cannot repeat the symptoms.
Once I have used the Window > Log Files... command and clicked View to open a log file in Windows Notepad, then after closing the Log Files dialogue, I can use FH as normal with the Notepad editor still showing the log text.

Is the problem you have described in any way related to your Possible bug report (19565)?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

For the record (and to avoid Shirley getting confused) this was originally posted in General Usage but would have been posted in New Wish List Requests if Shirley had known how things worked; so I moved it until it could be considered.

Shirley, if items in New Wish List can be satisfied with existing features, they will get move back to General Usage.
elricks
Platinum

Post by elricks »

People, the steps I take are this -
Window/Log files
A small pop up window opens with just one option 2021-07-05 Import Log
click on file
click on view.
A large pop up opens with Import from TMG......

I can move and resize the Log File window, there is no minimise option

What I want to do, with the log file window open, is identify a conversion that 'reads incorrectly', identify and access the data of someone who has that event, then think about a solution.

Clicking on any other open FH window produces a 'ding'. I checked my windows sound system and it tells me this is the 'default beep'

I notice you all seem to be saying your log file opens in your text editor. Mine doesn't, and I doubt I would want it to as what I am looking at is in spreadsheet format.

I worked around this by pasting the contents into Libre Calc. As I had a work around, I wanted this to simply be a wish list. At the moment I only have this one log file, so I can't test to see if other log files open in a text editor or not.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It turns out that Shirley is absolutely correct in the special case of a TMG dated Import Log.
Usually, log files are .txt files that open in a text editor, but in this case, it is a .fhf file that FH opens itself and thus prevents any FH operations.

No other applications seem capable of opening such a .fhf file, so FH should open it in a floating non-modal window to allow other FH operations to be performed while checking the log and taking remedial action as recommended by the FH Help page TMG Import: Post-import Checks for Best Results.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry