* New member introduction

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
elricks
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

New member introduction

Post by elricks »

Good morning from Australia.

I am a brand new user of Family Historian, using the trial version to see if I can convert from TMG. I have made my decision to purchase as soon as my trial period ends. I need to convert to a DB that runs on Win 10 as I am embarking on upgrading my op sys from Win 7. My current rig is fully operational, so there is no 'hurry'.

I have just under 100,000 individuals in my TMG database, in just the 1 project. Except for a few wanderers, all events are UK based. One of the wanderers is me.

I have been using TMG for well over 20 years. I have custom sentences in standard tags, and many custom tags. I would categorize my use of TMG customizations as 'ambitiously intermediate'.

I am a technically proficient USER of TMG, and a technically competent user of Windows. My background before I retired was PC user support for a large corporate here in Melbourne.

My preferred method of learning is to 'do', with support from Help files followed by user groups as issues arise.

I have worked through a few conversions. I have made some obvious formatting changes to my TMG custom sentences in Tags (ie deleted my Bold, Italics etc). I know how to get around FH to add data and to publish reports. I have yet to fully come to terms with FH sentence structure processes and codes, at least in as far as how they differ from TMG. I am having difficulty getting my head around the advice in the 'help' files, but I promise you I am looking there first. And in the Knowledge base, which is why I can say I know how to add data and publish reports in FH.

I have downloaded and installed the plug in 'give witnesses their own facts', but as yet I have not tried to use it.

I am at the stage where I need some user group assistance - For clarity my queries will be in separate emails, one at a time.

SHIRLEY
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: New member introduction

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Welcome, Shirley, and thanks for the introduction. It's always useful to know something about how a user learns, and what resources they've explored. If you learn by doing, I agree, the help file in particular can be hard to get to grips with!

We've a variety of answering styles here. I tend to succinct; others are more verbose. Just let us know if an answer doesn't work for you - none of us will be offended!