* Age at birth???

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Rusty
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Age at birth???

Post by Rusty »

I've just entered a birth for someone in my tree and in the Focus window under the birth column it says Q3 1921 (age 99).

Looking at the record window there isn't any mention of me typing in 99, but I don't think that it is me as I altered another date of birth to read Q3 1921 and that also came up as (age 99), is it a blip in the programme, we are almost in Q3 2021?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Age at birth???

Post by tatewise »

You have answered your own question. "We are almost in Q3 2021."
So we are still in Q2 2021 and somebody born in Q3 1921 would still be 99 years old, but almost 100 years old.
The display you are looking at shows the current age of living people. It is not a blip in the program.

If you enter Birth Data as Q2 or Q1 1921 it says 100 years old.

If you wait until next month it will say 100 years old for those born in Q3 1921.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty »

Thank you Mike, still a bit puzzled as it doesn't seem to occur anywhere else even when birth dates are close to 100 years ago, I suppose it will disappear when I find out when she died.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As I said, it is the age now of living people, i.e. age: 99 notice the colon : and no d.

For people who have a Death or Burial event, it shows the age at death, i.e. aged 68 notice the d and no colon :.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty »

Thank you Mike.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Curiously, FH allows an age at birth to be defined. The field label is greyed out, but the field is still active, and the value is stored. Calculated ages ignore any non-zero value, and don't add on whatever is entered here :).

GEDCOM does permit a non-zero value on my reading of the standard, so presumably this is FH following GEDCOM law, even if the law is an ass....
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark, the Age at birth field allows the age to be entered as Stillborn, which is a valid option.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Fair enough. I would still inhibit other values, but it’s not my app!
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark, so would I, but I suspect gedcom compliance plays a part...
Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty »

I think that because it said Birth age 99 when no-one else in that family had ages in their birth column that was what made me think (never a good idea when I start thinking :lol: ), however looking at the entries for my grandchildren they too have their ages in the Birth column and I can see now what I should have understood from the beginning before I posted.

Thank you everyone (particularly Mike) for your patience.