* Embedded source citations

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Embedded source citations

Post by AdrianBruce »

So I've got up to the changes to the Note window and I'm attempting to add an inline / embedded source citation into the middle of a Note for a Fact. Why? Because my Notes for Facts can be really long and I thought it might be a good idea to copy or move the appropriate citation to nearer the bit inside the note's text that it provides justification for.

I can bring the Note window up, click Add Source Citation but .... The only options are to Cite an Existing Source or Add New Generic or Template Source... But, by the very nature of what I'm doing (copying an existing citation) what I really want to do is Paste Citation.

Surely this is a design error to have omitted the Paste Citation option? (Unless I'm missing something again, of course...)

I did try to add it via the All Tab but, looking at the raw GEDCOM, there is a tag _LKID 1 that appears under the SOUR @S9@ line that clearly identifies the inline / linked source and I can't find the way to add marker that via the All tab.

Any bright ideas how to copy that existing citation to create an inline citation? Other than write it all out again...
Adrian
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Embedded source citations

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Adrian, the embedded links are links to records, and (as you know) a citation isn't a record. So you can link to the Source but not include the citation fields.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Surely the Add Link button is what links to Individual Records?

Whereas I'm talking about the Add Source Citation button next to it. If you click that, take the Cite Existing Source option, and then, after choosing the source record, you get the Citation Window. So it's all do-able to get to the Citation, it's just a pain to do a duplicate entry of the citation data if there is already a Citation that can be copied in the usual fashion.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, Helen, unusually, is wrong! Adrian, you are correct, there should be a Paste Citation option.

However, I think there is a workaround...
Use the Cite Existing Source option and in the Citation window use the cog menu option Show Citation in Property Box (All tab) where you can use the Paste Citation button.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Sorry, Adrian -- that's what happens when you're commenting quickly while the oven timer is beeping! I go tthe wrong end of the stick.

Might be worth reporting to Calico Pie as 'unexpected behaviour'?

ETA: I have raised a ticket.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Mike - sorry, I can't make your suggestion work - I must be missing something if you did.

Helen - does your "ETA" bit mean I needn't talk to CP (assuming that they've passed it to the developers, in which case I'd just be duplicating) or what?
Adrian
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Adrian, I haven't heard back from CP (Bank Holiday) but don't think you need to report it as well.

I couldn't make Mike's suggestion work either, but didn't dare demonstrate my wrongness again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are correct, I fooled myself.
The pasted Citation gets added to the Note as a whole rather than the embedded Citation.
Sorry!
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

CP tell me the ability to paste a citation is on their to-do list -- not in the next release though.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Helen - I suspect that although it's very much a case of cloning, there's a reasonable number of lines to clone and check.
Adrian