* One Place Studies

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
nedyr
Family Historian: V7

One Place Studies

Post by nedyr » 26 May 2021 17:59

I have just started a Once Place Study of the town in which I live. I have Family Historian V7. Would it be possible to keep my research, e.g. Census records, etc. in FH? If so has anyone any advice as to how I should use FH with an OPS and the things to bear in mind? Thanks John

tatewise
Megastar

Re: One Place Studies

Post by tatewise » 26 May 2021 19:45

Welcome to the FHUG John.

There are plenty of One-Place Studiers here who will be happy to advise.

However, in general, the method of recording sources such as Census records is the same as any other study.
There is much advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base, especially for Sources and Citations.

In particular, don't overlook Ancestral Sources. See Key Features for Newcomers for other tips.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

nedyr

Post by nedyr » 26 May 2021 19:51

Thanks! I am using Ancestral Sources to enter Census transcripts - seems the easiest way, and have decided to combine addresses and places into a Place entry so that addresses show on the map following the FAQ guidance.

John

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 26 May 2021 20:11

There is currently an issue with the width of the tables typically produced in Census transcripts. If too wide they will not fit within the width of an A4 sized Report even in landscape orientation.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock » 28 May 2021 12:06

I sometimes use Ancestral Sources when dealing with censuses on my own family trees. But I dont use AS for data entry in my place studies. Partly by personal choice and partly because I began using fh for the work and had developed a routine before I was aware of the existence of AS.

My system was devised before fh7 and I find it quick and convenient.
I created a lumped source for each census film and I used the house address in the Place field as a marker both in the Event record Census Place and on the citation (where in source). After setting the event and source up for one person, I copied and pasted the Census event plus source to every person in that household (often unrelated people or with a relationship assumed).

Half way through my work, a census transcription became available on line and the CLDS stopped supplying films. I created a further lumped source for the on line census. And continued the same way. On line, each person now had an archival reference number and their own page, (no household pages) but it was still possible to discover all residents of a particular dwelling.

I am currently building up a First World War data base of members of an artillery brigade, currently about 1,080 people. I have been trying to locate them on the 1911 census. So far I have not used AS for this. I bought fh (recommended software for place studies) and I did not want to pay an additional fee for using AS which one is asked to do if one uses AS for more than a cetrain number of entries. Using AS for a whole artillery brigade would certainly exceed the fair limit.

For the big place studies and using only fh, (not using AS) I started with the source - that is the census film for a particular town and entered the people listed.
But for the Brigade, I started with a list of the men in the Brigade, often with an initial and lacking a forename, and then tried to find them on the census (a source). To make this easier, I put the individuals into a named list and I display the list with columns alongside, one of which indicates whether or not I have yet found and entered the man on the 1911 census. This has not been easy or necessarilly successful. I am hoping that identifying brigade members and finding their forenames will be easier when the 1921 census comes on line.

I am not saying this is the correct thing to do or even the best way. I am simply answering your question by describing what I have done in two different history projects.

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 28 May 2021 12:26

I am currently building up a First World War data base of members of an artillery brigade, currently about 1,080 people. I have been trying to locate them on the 1911 census. So far I have not used AS for this. I bought fh (recommended software for place studies) and I did not want to pay an additional fee for using AS which one is asked to do if one uses AS for more than a cetrain number of entries. Using AS for a whole artillery brigade would certainly exceed the fair limit.
It is absolutely not the case that you are asked to pay an additional fee for using AS. There is no concept of a fair limit. The wording of the message that appears is: "Ancestral Sources is free but if you find it useful perhaps you will consider making a small donation to the author. This will help to encourage him to continue to update and improve Ancestral Sources in the future."

You are more than welcome to use AS to record every soldier involved in the whole of WWI if you wish without making a donation. I have had lots of donations over the years which is great and, as the message says, does encourage me (I've spent what must be thousands of hours working on AS over the years) but it is certainly not a requirement.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com

nedyr

Post by nedyr » 28 May 2021 16:37

Thanks, Evelyn - there is lots for me to work through and think about here. My OPS will include over 3000 individuals for each census year. Current population is 4500 - so a great deal of work to do! I started with one hamlet of 200 people which forms part of the town and am gradually building this up to cover more areas. I am very impressed with your artillery brigade website. This is the kind of thing that I would eventually like to develop. Thanks again. John

E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock » 28 May 2021 19:49

John I am glad you like the Brigade site. I am not a web desgner and it is not wonderful.
However my Google site for the Brigade does not yet include lists from any genealogy software. The lists currenty on the Brigade site came from MS Access (Excel) and the text was typed in MS word. Google sites allows site owners to paste in or write text on line.

To put my own family trees on line, I export a GEDCOM using Mike's plug in, and then use the software Gedsite which have used for years with TMG. If one creates such a site using HTML, one needs to upload it to a Roots web or other hosting site. As far as I know, one cannot up load them to Google. The same applies to websites created in fh.

Nick. I did not mean to upset you. I made a payment to AS in 2017, and will do so again when I come to working on my own family trees. It is against my principles to use software for which I have not made a donation.
I didnt use AS for my 2WW history projects but that was my choice.