* FH7 won't start

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Simonides
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FH7 won't start

Post by Simonides »

There are not many days that I don't start FH7 but today it just won't start. I've no problems with other programs, I've tried Run as Administrator and tried restarting Windows but whatever I do, I can't start FH7! There's no error or other message.

I'm running Windows 10.

Any suggestions please?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FH7 won't start

Post by tatewise »

By restarting Windows presumably you mean using the Restart option and not Shutdown.

How are you invoking FH?

Try the Start menu, scroll down to the Family Historian yellow folder, open it and click the Family Historian shortcut there.

Try double-clicking a GEDCOM file.

Try downloading FH v7.0.5 from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7 and install it again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

By restarting Windows I meant using the Restart option. I tried a full Shutdown and later restarted Windows but FH7 did not start.

I invoked FH by clicking on the desktop icon and also from the Start | Family Historian folder.

Double-clicking a GEDCOM file started a different family tree program.

I downloaded FH v7.0.5 from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7 and reinstalled which resolved the issue.

I remember doing a System Restore a few days ago. Perhaps that caused the problem?

Anyway, all sorted now. Thanks Mike!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If the System Restore Point was created before FH v7 was first installed then System Restore will reset the system to that state and probably won't remove any shortcut icons, but they would refer to a non-existent executable.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

I think the system restore was from a point between upgrading to 7.0.4 and 7.0.5. Reinstalling 7.0.5 today resolved the issue. Thanks for your suggestion!