* Add media to source via drop on tab

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
JoopvB
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Add media to source via drop on tab

Post by JoopvB »

When adding media to a source by dropping it onto the media tab of the Prepared Citation window it adds the media to the media library but not to the source. Instead of going to the media tab and dropping the media there (to add it to the source) it would be nice to just drop it on the tab.

Moreover, when dropping it on the media tab, I think everybody expects it to be attached to the source instead of a 'loose' media record.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Add media to source via drop on tab

Post by LornaCraig »

I am not seeing this problem. I can drag and drop a media file onto the Media tab of the Citation window and it appears on that tab, correctly linked to either the source record or the citation, depending on which I have chosen.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What Show: option have you got in the Media tab of the Prepared Citation window?

If it is Source Record and Citation-specific then Drag&Drop should pop up a box asking Source Record or Citation.
Does that happen?

If it is Citation-specific Only then Drag&Drop adds the media to the Prepared Citation in Header, not the Source record.

If it is Source Record Only then Drag&Drop adds the media to the Source Record Media tab.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JoopvB
Superstar

Post by JoopvB »

I have the show option source record only (but the other options give the same results) and when I drag my media file upon the Media tab (not the window, but the tab) it says:
The media will be added to current project
and I can choose a location.

When I then push Add the file is added to the media library but not to the source that is currently active. This doesn't seem logical because I am adding it to the source in the active source/citation window.

When instead, I drag it to the Media tab window; the message correctly says that the media will be added AND linked to the source record.

My wish is that the same happens when I drop a file on the Media tab (not the window that opens when I select the tab).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! That makes all the difference.
There is no blue-bordered drop zone when you use that procedure.
Dropping on that unopen tab is the same as dropping almost anywhere in FH. It just creates a Media record.

With the Media tab open, when you drag & drop, there is a very bold blue rectangular border around the whole tab window.
Only then will it be linked to the Source record or the Citation.

See FHUG KB Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop under Handling Images and Drag & Drop.

So what you describe is not a fault. It is intended to work that way.
I'm not sure if it would be possible to make it work the way you request. Where would the blue border be drawn?
Can this thread be moved to the General Usage forum?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JoopvB
Superstar

Post by JoopvB »

Hi Mike,
I see, so the convention is that any media dropped on an open FH project is added to the media library irrespective of where the cursor is at that moment. Only incase of fields indicated by the blue border, the media is handled specifically for that field.

Thanks, it's unbelievable at my age, but (with some valued help) I'm getting a bit wiser every day. :)

And, yes, please move it to the general discussions forum, if you would.