* Selecting an existing source

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Selecting an existing source

Post by E Wilcock »

I am still finding it had to add sources.
Is there any way to get the author field to show when one is searching to enter an existing source?
I have for years used the Book format for most of my sources. It provides fields for a title and an author. Thus if I cite a family tree from a DNA match or from ancestry, I put the creator of that tree into the author field. The web site goes into the publisher field.
For me the great attraction of the old fh was the ease of adding sources. All that is out the window now.
To make things worse, one cant search the source list by author either. I didnt use that before so I dont know about previous versions of fh.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Selecting an existing source

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Evelyn,

If you're working in the Records Windows for Sources, you can add an Author column to the columns.

Right click on the column heading and select Configure Columns. Choose <Other...> in the left hand panel and double click on it to get the Add Column dialog. Complete it as shown and select Add. Use the arrows under the left hand panel to move it into the place you want it in the order, and select OK. You still cant search on it, but you can sort by that column.
Screenshot 2021-03-29 103739.png
Screenshot 2021-03-29 103739.png (47.14 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
If that doesn't help enough, we can look at creating a query that prompts for an Author and delivers a list of sources bythat Author.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you. I have done that. However I have a lot of blank columns. What is the difference between Generic Type and Template? My type list looks much like a template list to me?
I have not opted to use or add Templated sources. But may be I should. As presumably I always used them prior to arriving in fh?
The tree I am working on now is a family one and using fh7 for the first time, I opened the TMG Project directly.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Evelyn,

Moving to Templated sources would be a lot of effort and detract from the research that's important to you. If you want to go down that route, we will help but I really think you shouldn't.

Generic Type is the type field from a Generic Source; Template is the template used for a Templated source. Any source will only have one or the other. If you are only using Generic sources, you can customise the records window (using the same dialog) to remove the Template (and do the same for any other fields you have no need for. Select them in the left hand panel and use the < icon in the middle to move them to the right hand panel.

You say you opened the TMG project directly; I presume you meant you imported it?
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I dont know whether to start a new thread. But I am in deep trouble over source display.
Ihave a snip attached to this showing the display problem. But I cant even remember how to insert an image in this post. Covid and old age are defeating me.
This is a big place study started in fh, my first Project, and nothing at all was imported.
The first problem is display.
source pane.PNG
source pane.PNG (18.54 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
In order to read the source, I have to pull the lower slide bar across (one cant adjust column width?)
The source is a file in an archive in New York.
My notes on that source are in a Note field (ending in three dots. . .) which I cannot open and read.

I suspect I could read it if I went to the source index. But I need to read all my notes while still looking at the person for whom the source is cited.

I really need (for my academic work) to revert to fh 6. But I need to stay with fh7 (I feel) for my son in law's family tree and one is not able to run both versions.
So I have to untangle version fh7.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

To clarify. Apologies. This is a previous snip made yesterday, the source is not New York. But the problem is shown.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Can I bump this. Please Lorna. Can you look at my snip, please. Or shoud I ask Calico Pie?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Evelyn, double click on the Source name in that yellow pane. The floating citation window will open with all details of the source and citation. And because it's floating, you can move it to where you want it and leave it open all the time. If you double click on another source, the details in that floating window will change accordingly.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Evelyn, After you have moved the scroll bar to the right you should find it possible to drag the column divider and move it to the left so that the second column is much wider, like this:

snip.JPG
snip.JPG (44.61 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

However that still won't help you read a long note which has been truncated. The best option is to leave the citation widow open because then as you click through each source in the 'Sources for' pane attached to the Property box the Citation Window will automatically display the details for that source.
(Helen's post slipped in just before mine, with the same suggestion!)
Lorna
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you both. I will see how this goes. I have to wait till it happens again.
I did try dragging the column line but it was dead. Not a working link.
But since reading your advice and leaving that pane open I havent had a problem. Moreover we have found a source document and page ref we have been meaning to translate for the last year.