* Source citation display.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Source citation display.

Post by E Wilcock »

I am still floundering with sources in fh7.
After entering the source, fh7 helpfully shows me how that source will appear in the footnote etc. But the detail of the citation does not appear. I get the GRO index of births or the overall Census source for a particular year. But I dont see the detailed page or reference number.
Is there a way to alter this?
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Source citation display.

Post by E Wilcock »

Please could someone help me with this or allow me to pay for on line tuition?
I have always for security updated my genealogy software. I have thousands of records in multile projects (Place studies), and dont want to revert to fh 6.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Evelyn, I think you are using generic sources. The format of the footnotes for these is controlled using Tools>Preferences>Sources>Generic Source Formats. There you will see a drop-down menu to select Footnote, Short Footnote or Bibliography. For each of these you will see a number of tick boxes which determine the items to be included. The Where within Source item, for example, will probably be where you have recorded a page number.

The only items which might cause problems are Text from Source and Notes, if they are long. If you click the Help button in that small window you will see that the Help files explain that these will be truncated if you incluce them as part of the citation text so it is better to append them to the end of the citation, using the Report Options.
Lorna
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you , I will do that Lorna, I have not been consistent over generic or not. In TMG my previous software, all sources had a source type. That source type arrives in fh.

I have a general source Stolperstein (German memorial plaques) Currently it shows only as the source. I have to click the plus sign to see the citation. I would like the citation to show. Is that possible?
Moreover I cant get the first column in the source pane narrow enough to show the citation detail. And when I click on the cog wheel I cant see how to alter that.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I have to click the plus sign to see the citation. I would like the citation to show. Is that possible?
I think you are referring to the plus sign next to the Source in the yellow Sources For pane attached to the Property box. If you are displaying the title of the Source record there, clicking the plus sign expands the record to display the citation details. I agree that it is then difficult to see the details at the right hand side (you have to use the scroll bar to shift sideways). As an alternative, you can click the cog wheel icon in the toolbar of the Sources For pane and select Display Citation As.. then Footnote. Does that help?
Lorna
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you so much for looking at this for me. None of the display options allows one to see the detail at once. I am sure this was possible in v6.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The citation details which used to be displayed in full in the Sources For pane in V6 are now displayed in the floating Citation Window in V7, leaving only a summary in the Sources For pane.

The Citation Window can be left open, so that as you click on successive sources in the list in the Sources For pane the display in the Citation Window changes accordingly. The lower section of the Citation Window contains the details you used to see in the Sources For pane. And if you leave the side panel of the Citation Window open it will show you what the Footnote, Short Footnote and Bibliography will look like. (I thought this was what you were referring to in your original post when you said "fh7 helpfully shows me how that source will appear in the footnote etc. " but perhaps I misunderstood what you were looking at).

Personaly I am not keen on large floating windows because I find they get in the way, but it is possible to resize and reposition the Citation Window so that it sits over the Sources For pane, getting close to the V6 display. This works best with the Sources For pane set at the right of the Property Box, rather than below it.

Citation window.JPG
Citation window.JPG (157.82 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
Lorna
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Evelyn, you have my sympathies, if you are happy to use v6/generic sources, I can only refer you back to
Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window (19000)
and add any fields you wish to view via the
...... dropdown cog > customise citation window > select tab "Main (generic)" > add "whatever"......

I hope that refers to your viewing issues, otherwise beyond my scope.

With the settings as in the above topic, I am able to continue exactly as I did in FHv6 but with the extra useful popout Source/Citation window. However, my Source detail is limited to Source Name and Text from Source, but you should be able to add any other fields you require to the Main (or other) tab.

The only other thing I can suggest is you contact calico pie, say you are very confused, what you want to do, and ask them to produce a help video, which may also be helpful to others and bring to their attention that the New Source procedures have added much confusion. The expression too clever by half comes to mind!
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you both. And particularly Lorna for that image. I will see what I can do with that. I have been confused further by the names for the two panes.