* Rich text and table display limitations

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Rich text and table display limitations

Post by Mark1834 »

I thought I had an issue with FH7 displaying strikeout text incorrectly. In this example, George Carter had helpfully put in children details from his first marriage, but the enumerator crossed them out. The strikeout was not displaying for the children columns, but after scratching my head for a while I realised what the problem was. The horizontal line in the 4 exactly overlays the strikeout line! The workaround was to insert leading and trailing spaces to extend the line, but I'm glad I noticed that before submitting a bug report :).
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (20.5 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
The rich text table seems to have some limitations compared with a normal word processor, particularly the inability to select columns or copy/paste multiple cells or complete rows, or have I missed something?
Mark Draper
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Rich text and table display limitations

Post by LornaCraig »

The rich text table seems to have some limitations ....... particularly the inability to select columns or copy/paste multiple cells or complete rows, or have I missed something?
I raised the issue of copying and pasting multiple cells during beta testing. It was in 'Held issues' so CP re aware of it.
Lorna
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The rich text control in Windows (which FH and my own AS use) is extremely frustrating to work with as a programmer as soon as the text includes tables. I think CP have done a better job of it than I have, partly because the .Net implementation really just doesn't work properly (FH doesn't use .Net). As soon as you start using tables in the control things go pear shaped and in my experience, for example, it totally reports the wrong cursor positions and other information so it becomes impossible to get it to do exactly what you want. So I think Calico have done a great job with it but are constrained by the limitations of the Windows rich text control.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It sounds like CP are having to write FH with one hand tied behind their back. A table control that doesn’t work properly, a PDF report routine that can’t output text. What else, I wonder... :(
Mark Draper
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

They're a great development company, I'm sure they'll find ways around all these issues and we're only speculating that these are the problems. They may just be prioritising other developments over these.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/