* Default settings Focus Window /Property Box

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Adjer
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Default settings Focus Window /Property Box

Post by Adjer »

After I upgraded to FH V6 I have a mainly monochrome display. Previously I had the standard mainly blue display which I prefer. I seem to remember when installing V6 I had a choice of display colour. Using the "Preferences>Focus>Window>Colours" method is not easy, changing one item at a time. Is there an easy way of switching to the blue display? Thanks, Adjer.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Default settings Focus Window /Property Box

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Have you tried Tools > Preferences > General > Colour Scheme?
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have tried this. I only have a choice of two. 1.The default setting which brings me the almost monochrome display I would like to replace. 2. A high contrast version of 1. Adjer.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suggest you post some screenshots of your display and colour setting options so we have a better idea of the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

2021-01-21_141525.jpg
2021-01-21_141525.jpg (148.03 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
1. Click customise View
2. Click Colours
3. Select each line in turn
4. Select the colour for each line and click the <<Select button
5. When you have done all the colours click OK

Then use File>Import Export>Export>Colour Scheme to make a safe copy of your scheme.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

Thanks to all who replied, most helpful. Apologies for the for the delay in replying. I have had other important items to do.
I attempted to transfer the the Colour Scheme (mainly a blue display) from the old laptop using the Import/Export controls via a memory stick to the new laptop. It seemed OK, as the file was there on the Preferences General tab display. When I selected the new file it did not work. I got the same monochrome display again. To check I then imported the Colour Scheme back into the old laptop.
The same colour file shows as a blue display on the old machine but monochrome on the new machine. Why?
I then set about changing the colours on the new machine as suggested by Jane. This works but it took me for ever just to do the Focus window bit by bit. I don't want to do all the F H windows this way. It is too much. Adjer.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Is it only FH which appears almost monochrome on your new machine? Or are other programs also affected? Could it simply be that the colour needs adjusting in the graphics settings for the new machine?
Lorna
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

Lorna: No problems with any other programs. Only F H V6 since I have a new Acer Laptop. See my screen shots.
Have done the recolouring of Focus & Property Box windows. Have a problem here also. Some parts of the display do not seem to have any facility to change their colour. eg. Navigation Bar, Unselected tabs in focus window, the menu backgrounds & some items in the property box.
Just checked my attachments & the old laptop screen shot should be coloured blue not green. I' m baffled. It's blue on the old laptop I did the screen shot from.
Attachments
Screen shot new Acer L top re-coloured.PNG
Screen shot new Acer L top re-coloured.PNG (338.98 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
Screen shot new Acer L top.PNG
Screen shot new Acer L top.PNG (344.48 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
Screen shot old HP Ltop.PNG
Screen shot old HP Ltop.PNG (192.61 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Both your old HP Ltop and new Acer L top screenshots look the same and identical to my PC.
They are all mostly shades of pale blue/grey not green.

It is only the new Acer L top re-coloured that is mostly shades of aquamarine.

Note that screenshots are not capturing what you see but what the laptop is sending to the monitor screen.

I wonder if your old HP laptop monitor screen colour settings are upset.
If you run the same programs on both the old HP and new Acer do they display with similar colours?
In particular, what do colour photos look like when compared on both laptops?
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

tatewise: The old HP Laptop has never had it's colour display changed. It is as downloaded from DVD F H V6. It was an on line down load for the new laptop.
The two laptops show markedly different colour displays from the same colour data. See my previous posts.
I have taken a colour photo of the two laptops side by side. See my attachment.
I am 88 yrs old & find this difficult. I need to change all the colours on the new device to make the display like the old one.
I have a problem with this. Some of the "colour items" are easy to see which screen area they change, but the remainder are obscure. I have searched your "Knowledge Base" & the book "Getting the Most" & found nothing. Have you any other sources you can point me to?
Attachments
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG (328.47 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

The one on the left looks as if it's using the Windows 10 Dark Mode and possibly some other theme settings, which can also affect the appearance of applications, but I'm more inclined towards the possibility that it's more down to the Monitor's colour settings.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I still believe the colour settings of the two laptop monitors are different or as Mervyn says the Windows colour settings are different on the two laptops. The parts of your photos that are outside the FH window, such as the taskbar across the bottom are very different. So not affected by FH.

Please do as I asked and compare two photo images using your preferred Windows photo editor.
I strongly suspect that the image on the old HP will be higher contrast and more blue than the new Acer.

It is nothing to do with Family Historian colour settings. It is simply that your two PC have different colour characteristics.
Family Historian does NOT adjust the colours in the photo images. Yet the HP images look too dark and the Acer images look washed out. So it is a problem with your two laptops and not the Family Historian program.

As a start, try turning brightness of HP up and the brightness of Acer down. There are buttons on the keyboard function keys to do that. Does that help?

However, I am happy to be proven wrong.

There is a step by step guide to calibrating the colour balance of your laptop display that you should be able to follow at: How to Calibrate Your Monitor Color in Windows 10
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

The fact that the task bar on the left appears to be black, and the one on the right is blue suggests a difference in the Windows colours. I have just spent some time trying to find the settings again and I believe that the story is:

In Windows, go to Settings / Personalisation / Colours

I have set
Default Windows Mode = Dark;
Default App Mode = Light;
(I find it weird that I prefer one light and the other dark, but that's how it goes).

And then under Choose Accent Colour, I have choosen a mid-blue with the "Show Accent Colour" checkboxes set to "Start, Taskbar & Action Centre" and "Title bars and Window Borders".

If the "Show Accent Colour" is not set to "Start, Taskbar & Action Centre", then the Task bar defaults to the Dark Windows Mode of black (like the left?).

If the "Show Accent Colour" is not set to "Title bars and Window Borders", then the Title bar of the Active program is set to white - the default from the App Mode.

I would suggest that getting the 2 laptops working the same way in their Windows colours is going to be essential to making them look the same in FH.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Adrian, did you see my posting of: How to Calibrate Your Monitor Color in Windows 10

Adjer, if you sign in to this forum on both laptops, do the colours look different?
If yes, then the Windows 10 colours need calibrating as I have suggested. It is nothing to do with FH colour settings.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

tatewise wrote: 04 Feb 2021 11:20 Adrian, did you see my posting of: How to Calibrate Your Monitor Color in Windows 10...
Indeed, but black v. blue is also the sort of difference that can be seen via the Windows colour scheme.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, but I am focussing on the rendering of the colour photos, which are completely different on there two screens, and presumably should not be affected by the Windows colour scheme? Whereas, if calibration & brightness are upset then that is what you would get.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

tatewise wrote: 04 Feb 2021 16:07 OK, but I am focussing on the rendering of the colour photos, which are completely different on there two screens, ...
A good point - my instinctive reaction, however, was that comparing those aspects would be easier if the base (Windows) colours were the same.
Adrian