* Icons in diagrams V6.2

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
amuse
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Icons in diagrams V6.2

Post by amuse »

I think I'm being a bit thick here. Yesterday I saw a demonstration of the use of icons to mark diagrams with '41 '51 census 'tags' I've used FH since V3 but not seen this before. Seems like a very useful feature and I wanted to try it before I upgrade to V7.

I've tried to follow instructions in the knowledge base and got as far as downloading Janes icons and dragging them into the programme folder, but then I come unstuck. I can't seem to get the icons to appear on the diagrams.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
You don't know what you don't know, until you find out you didn't know.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Icons in diagrams V6.2

Post by LornaCraig »

See this page in the Knowledge Base: Using Icons
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Take care to use the Family Historian Program Data Folder which is often hidden and NOT the C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\ program installation folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Thanks Lorna, I'd got that far but was totally confused.

Tatewise, thanks. Yes, I have the .bmp icons in the icons folder. My problem is how to set the icons onto the diagram. I was expecting an icon on the tool bar. I can't find anything in 'help' to guide me. Any more help would be appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In Using Icons the Using Icons and Worked Examples sections advise what to do and have links to FH help pages.

An important question is what do you want to signify with the Icons?
If you can give a scenario we can give precise details.

The first thing to do is familiarise yourself with the Diagram > Options in general and the Boxes tab in particular.
The Help buttons give useful advice.
On the Boxes tab the Box Features options allow boxes to be customised in many ways based on Conditions.
Conditional Icons are just one of many possibilities.
So if you want an Icon for people who appeared in the 1901 Census then the Condition would be the Expression %INDI.CENS[year=1901]% and in the associated Box Features you would choose the 1901 Census icon..
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Thanks for that Mike.
I was trying to set up a system where I could mark an individual record box on a diagram with an icon such as '01 or '11 or M
I have tried the suggestion above and set '01 icons (although the size is minute - I presume I will need to resize the .bmp image). This is conditional on data in the record, I was trying to set up a system that is independent of data in the record.
Is that possible?
Thanks again Barry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Why would you want it to be independent of the data in the record? Surely you wouldn't want to display an '01' or an '11' icon unless you do actually have data for those censuses recorded for that individual?

The alternative is to make the icon conditional on a flag, but why would you want to add a flag to someone if they don't have the data the flag is supposed to represent?
Lorna
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

I'm not too worried about census data being conditional, but for birth marriage and death data the dates entered may be
'c1900' or 'Q3 1900' and I would not want an icon set where I have not got full dates. the whole idea is to see what research I need to do on that particular person.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You could check for the qualifier on dates :XDATETYPE being equal to "Date" that way it would only flag on simple dates not approx or ranges.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think part of the confusion is the terminology for 'record'.

In FH and GEDCOM terms, a 'record' is an Individual record, or a Source record. or a Media record.
In the Records Window there is a tab for each type of 'record'.

The various components of a 'record' such as Facts and their Dates and Places are called 'fields'.

So you are really saying you want Icons independent of Birth/Death subsidiary fields.
However, you don't actually mean that, as every individual record will have a Birth event, so every Diagram box would have a Birth Icon.
You mentioned Research, so the Icon condition must take into account whether you have a Source Citation associated with the Fact you are interested in.

Returning to the Using Icons Worked Examples there is a Condition Expression for %INDI.BAPM.SOUR>% which is true if the 1st Baptism Event if it has a Source Citation.
So similar expressions for Birth and Death would be %INDI.BIRT.SOUR>% and %INDI.DEAT.SOUR>%

Usually, for Census Research it is each Census Year that is important.

However, that does all assume you are using Source Citations, which is whole new discussion :roll: .

The size of BMP Icons can be adjusted on the Box Features dialogue using the cunningly name Size setting.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by pwe »

I use the source assessment to mark as "primary" where I have a BMD certificate or have [or have seen] a copy of the parish register [but not a transcript that is "secondary" evidence].
I then use an expression to test for the assessment of the source and if it is "primary" an icon is added.
An example expression for baptism is =IsTrue( %INDI.BAPM.SOUR.QUAY% = "Primary evidence" ) [thanks to Mike Tate for this]
Where you have a circa or quarter date for say a birth then that would not be assessed as primary evidence so would not receive an icon

Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, as Peter says, the exact Expression required depends very much on the criteria you want to use and how consistent you have been in applying those criteria. Is it the Fact Date, the Citation Assessment, the Source Title or Type, or what?
It is also important that the most significant Source Citation is first when there are more than one.
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Thanks everyone for your help. This has been a steep learning curve for me as I have never got into changing the basic settings on FH.

I have set up a new dummy project with only 3 persons and used that as a test and all seems to work as I wanted it to. My problem now is not all of my genuine data has got source citations, as a lot of it from way back was imported via Gedcom from PAF and Generations. Guess what I will be doing for the rest of lockdown.
The size of BMP Icons can be adjusted on the Box Features dialogue using the cunningly name Size setting
The problem with my logic was that it was not computer logic! I thought the larger number you inserted in the box the larger the icon would be, it is the opposite as I now realise.
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Lorna said:-
The alternative is to make the icon conditional on a flag, but why would you want to add a flag to someone if they don't have the data the flag is supposed to represent?
Could this be used to produce an icon on a diagram for a flag that I have set on an individual for 'No issue'?
Could you guide me with the expression please.

Now that I have my expressions as I want them them, will they just carry over when I upgrade to FH v7? I realise that I will have to change the icon file types from .bmp to emf , but now that I have got the hang of creating them that should not be a problem.

Thanks again for your help
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is probable that the Box Condition Expressions will carry over to FH V7 when you upgrade, but without seeing the actual expressions it is difficult to be definitive.

Regarding 'No Issue' have you seen the Diagram > Options > General tab No-offspring marker and associated Options...?
That puts a black line under people with no children as explained when you click the Options... button.
So you may not need a Flag driven Icon.

But to set an Icon on a Record Flag is much the same as for Expressions except you choose the cunningly named Condition called Record Flag.
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Thanks for the speed reply. I had looked at the Diagram > Options > General tab No-offspring marker tab, but as far I understood it it would mark anyone who had no offspring data entered, i.e. there may be offspring but they are not yet entered. I was hoping to mark people I knew had no offspring e.g. died young, and maiden aunts (but with DNA testing you never know).

I now realise the way to do it is to >Edit > Record flags and then set up the icon in expressions as you say. I was expecting to have to enter an expression to link the fact to the icon.

I did say when I started this post that I was thick, I think now I have proved it to your satisaction?

Thanks for your help.
Barry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The No-offspring marker is used if you want a line to be drawn below individuals who had no children. If you enable this option, the line will be displayed under the spouse box for an individual if the individual had no recorded children by that spouse, and either the Individual or his spouse's Count of Children field is set to 0; or the Count of Children for the couple's family record is set to 0.
(My emphasis).

So it only appears if you have explicitly indicated there were no offspring -- not when there is simply no offspring recorded yet.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, instead of using a Record Flag you add the standard attribute Child Count 0 to an Individual or for a Family add the miscellaneous Count of Children 0.

Maybe you were misled by the tick option at the bottom Also put marker below individuals with no spouse & no children
But if you don't tick that option then it does not apply.