* Web site PHP programming.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Andy63
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Web site PHP programming.

Post by Andy63 »

My friend is transferring from TNG to Family Historian with his 95,000 individuals and creates a website. FH has no problem handling this and it takes about 10 minutes to create the website files. But there is a problem with this approach of creating a file for each entry. Over 60,000 files and if you want to transfer them on a web server with FTP, good luck! In practice it cannot be done for several reasons. But that is another story. So I gave him a hand and created a few PHP web pages to help him with the process and he wanted a search page.
  • Zip the directory that contains all the files and transfer to the web server by FTP
The following is a one-step process:
  • Unzip.php page will decompress the file in a directory (take less than a minute)
  • CreateDatabase.php will decompose the "_nameindex.html" to a MySQL database for the search engine
  • Search.php is the search engine web page
  • Addmenu.php add "Find" to the menu bar
  • EditIndex.php is a small WYSIWYG html editor that allows modifications to the content under the menu in the "index.html"
Exemple: https://icfo.info/genealogie/

Andy63
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Web site PHP programming.

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Anyone else having problems with large numbers of files to upload using FTP, have a look at the FTP website manager plugin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Andy, welcome to the FHUG.

The plugins:help:improve_html:improve_html|> Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin provides several extra features including adding a Search dialogue to the Index of Names tab. See plugins:help:improve_html:name_index|> Improve Website or CD DVD HTML ~ Index of Names Tab.
BTW: It also tidies up long names like David AARON SECOND HAND GOODS.

Would you be prepared to publish your scripts for the benefit of others?

Maybe they could be integrated with the above Plugin?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Andy63
Gold

Post by Andy63 »

tatewise wrote: 23 Nov 2020 10:14 Andy, welcome to the FHUG.

The plugins:help:improve_html:improve_html|> Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin provides several extra features including adding a Search dialogue to the Index of Names tab. See plugins:help:improve_html:name_index|> Improve Website or CD DVD HTML ~ Index of Names Tab.
BTW: It also tidies up long names like David AARON SECOND HAND GOODS.

Would you be prepared to publish your scripts for the benefit of others?

Maybe they could be integrated with the above Plugin?
Hi,

I tried the plug-in, unfortunately the search function of "Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin" takes way too long because of the number of entries to be useful. That's why I create a database based on the "_nameindex.html" file for search purpose.

I didn't look at all the features of Family Historian yet. The major problem was to get all the files on a web server.

"FTP website manager plugin" is not helpful in this case. Transferring 60,000 files with FTP takes several hours when nothing crashes or hangs. It is not the total size of the files that is the problem but the quantity of files. Several Windows software such as Filezilla (FTP) and Adobe Dreamweaver (Web Editor) only display 10,000 files from the web server, this is another problem. I have to add an underscore at the beginning of my php file name so that I can see them in these softwares, I noted that Family Historian is already doing that... ;)

I have no problem posting the PHP files but they are only useful on a web server because all the work is done with the html files that Family Historian creates. When totally finish, I will post them.

What I would suggest for a plug-in is to include a zip decompression PHP file with the "Publish to Web" and compress all the files in a zip file. Once the transfer to a web server is done, just have to run that php file on the web server to extract all the files. I don't think there is another practical solution.

Thanks,
Andy