* Unable to save changes.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
David C
Family Historian: V7

Unable to save changes.

Post by David C »

This week, I installed Family Historian 6.2 on my Windows 10 PC. Having imported data from The Master Genealogist, I wanted to update entries. Unfortunately, having made some changes, I am unable to save the changes. I get the error pop-up window:
"Unable to save changes. Failed to generate temporary file in folder C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project\Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data. The system cannot find the file specified." (screenshot attached)
This problem occurs with several of my projects and with the Sample Project. The quoted path is a valid one: it leads to "C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project\Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data\Family Historian Sample Project.ged".
I tried uninstalling Family Historian and installing it again, but the problem was still apparent. Any ideas?
Attachments
FH-ErrorMsg.JPG
FH-ErrorMsg.JPG (26 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
redvanman
Diamond

Re: Unable to save changes.

Post by redvanman »

Hello David
Welcome aboard...

It looks as if you have attempted to save your data in the sample project folder. This is a read only folder - for good reason: it's a demonstration of the FH features, and not intended for your own family data.
Did you create a new project into which to import your existing information?

Alyn
David C

Post by David C »

Err, no. I copied the screenshot of the sample file failure because the instructions here specifically asked if the fault could be reproduced with the sample file. It happens with other projects in their own folders.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Alyn, is mistaken. The FH Sample Project is NOT read-only.

David, can you give us a bit more history please.
Have you just bought FH and installed it for the first time?
How did you set up the OneDrive use of FH?
Is anything else using OneDrive successfully?
How familiar are you within installing FH, Windows 10, OneDrive, etc?

Can you save any file into the C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder or the
C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project\Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data folder?
I don't mean using FH but some other program like Notepad or Word.
i.e. Is it a file access rights problem?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David C

Post by David C »

Thanks, the problem has gone away (for the moment), though it persisted through several PC shutdowns and a complete reinstall of FH. Perhaps it was a OneDrive issue.
I am not sure how the file location got to be what it is, I don't recall having any input when I installed FH on Wednesday (or when I reinstalled it today). I cannot find an option for telling FH where to save projects, so I suppose it is a program default.
I shall investigate further, if the problem recurs. Thanks for the help thus far.
David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The File > Project Window has the Location: setting to specify the path where Projects are stored.
That File > Project Window is where you go to create and open different Projects.
What is that Location: path setting now?

The installation default is My Documents\Family Historian Projects
So to become C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects needs some adjustment from you.

One possibility is that you have used the OneDrive > Settings > Backup tab to Manage back up of Documents.
That moves the default C:\Users\David\Documents folder to the C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents folder and that is what My Documents refers to.

It is very helpful if you can answer all the questions that I ask in order to reach a solution more quickly.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

So to become C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects needs some adjustment from you.
Not necessarily. I have a PC which had a clean install of Windows in February, and Documents was automatically put under C:\User\xxxxx\OneDrive when I indicated to OneDrive that I wanted the Documents folder to be automatically available (available on demand) on my PC. So when I installed FH, the default path to projects looked very similar.
redvanman
Diamond

Post by redvanman »

Alyn, is mistaken. The FH Sample Project is NOT read-only.
Yes, sorry about that - I misread the checkbox in the Windows properties.
Alyn