* Media images linked to people

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Media images linked to people

Post by ColinMc »

When a photo is added to the media tab on the property box, I often want to use the image twice, once as a link to the face, and separately the whole image.

So far I have been adding the same image twice, once as a new image, then secondly as an existing media image, then setting a frame on one of them.

This works for me, but I just wanted to check if there was a better way to achieve what I want?
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Media images linked to people

Post by tatewise »

If you really need both versions of the image to be displayed in Reports then that is the way to do it.
There is only one Media file and one Media record, so the only extra is the Link to Face frame setting.

If you don't need both versions in Reports then the full image is always viewable in the Edit Media Item window where the Link to Face frame is defined.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks, for confirming my thoughts. The reason for including both views is for reports sent to family members as the wider view often has much more information than just the face. They have no way to view on screen.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Can I just check this info on an old thread.
There is only one Media file and one Media record, so the only extra is the Link to Face frame setting.
I've just added an image to the media tab for each of 8 individuals. I then added it again to each individual, this time linking it to the respective faces.

As suggested above, there is definitely just the one file, but I have created 16 Media Records.
2021-09-28_12-09-39.jpg
2021-09-28_12-09-39.jpg (252.69 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Am I doing this wrong?

PS I do want both images to appear in reports.
PPS I'll probably rename the media records to make it clearer which one is which.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

> Am I doing this wrong?
Yes.

The best way to work with a single image and multiple people is to use the Media Window.

https://youtu.be/8SodHo_z7mc
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you are doing it wrong, and contrary to the earlier advice that you confirmed.

You appear to be creating a new Media RECORD each time, which suggests you are using the Insert From File... option.
However, each time you are choosing the same Media FILE on the D: drive.

After the first entry, you should have chosen the Link to Existing Media Record... and chosen Shaw Family IMG_2587 with Record Id 2850.

I suggest you either successively use Edit > Merge/Compare Records... on pairs of those Media RECORDS until there is only one, or delete all except the first and add them all over again, perhaps as suggested by Jane via the FH website Video Tutorials under Add Pictures Using the Media Window or as in the FHUG KB Multimedia Window and Report (Video Tutorial).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks for help. I have watched the video, and will now delete the offending objects and start again.

Thanks